Check out our new Book Club featuring at least one read along each month!  This months book is Priest of Bones

Sign in to follow this  
Affinity for MTG

World Champion Decks

Hey guys! I'm thinking about doing an on-going series in which I offer in-depth decks techs for previous world championship-winning decks. I have a bad habit of starting a series and then never finishing them, but when I do finally decide to film one I'll be posting it here. :) 

Check out my Youtube channel: Affinity for MTG

I don't mean to go so long between uploads for this series, but I keep going months at at time without uploading! Well, today we have Astral Slide, the deck that won in 2004, winning out over one of the most oppressive decks ever in Standard: Ravager Affinity! Check it out!

In 2009, NAYA ZOO won the World Championship. Well...sort of. This is a bit less aggressive and a bit more of a beatdown deck, but it could put out tons of power super quick, it could generate card advantage in grindy matches, AND it got to play Lightning Bolt and Path to Exile in STANDARD!

In 2012, WOTC technically ended the World Championship. They replaced it with the "Player Championship," and the format was the brand new Modern format that was created several months earlier. The change only lasted 1 year, as WOTC would revert back to the World Championship the following year, but in the meantime Jund would steal the show while Modern was in the spotlight. I know it's a pretty typical Modern archetype, but if you're interested in what the deck looked like back in 2012, check it out!

Got another edition to the series! 2013 Jeskai Control! Most control decks look to stall the game long enough to win with some combo or big late-game finisher, but this was just a super grindy control deck that looked out-value the opponent with Snapcaster Mage and Restoration Angel.

Got another World Championship deck tech for you guys! Sidisi Whip is a Sultai Reanimator deck that was actually a fair, mid-range deck that used reanimation to go wide with tokens. It's quite different from the usual "cheat a massive threat into play" style of reanimator you might be used to. Check it out!