Check out our new Book Club featuring at least one read along each month!  This months book is Priest of Bones

Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Kindle Paperwhite Review

After watching review after review, I decided to pick up a Kindle Paperwhite during the black friday sales.  I was tired of carrying around my books, and I get really weird about my books being damaged or having creases in them.  Yeah, I'm that guy.

external-df.gif

paperwhite.png

The pro's and con's so far:

Pros:

Easy to carry, small and portable.  The case can be replaced if it gets beat up.  Almost fits in your pocket.

I can read in bed without having a light on, helps with eye strain you'd get from other devices.  Night mode is a big plus for me.

Can carry 8 gigs of books, which is insane.  I don't listen to audio books, but I'm guessing you'd actually use the space on this thing if you had audio files.

You can easily purchase a kindle copy of a book and have it within seconds.

Battery lasts a looooong time.  I haven't had to charge mine yet.

Transferring existing files is easy.

Cons:

You can easily purchase a kindle copy of a book and have it within seconds.

When browsing your library, you notice how slow the response is on it.  But how often will you be reading and how often will you be browsing through books? 

Bottom line:

I'd definitely recommend getting one if you've been considering it.  Keep an eye on Amazon as they go on sale pretty frequently.  The Kindle Oasis is the newer model, but I didn't see a big difference in features to justify the price difference.  The Paperwhite works fine and does the job.

20201221_152726.jpg

Steve IRL

Reading: Gardens of the Moon

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

11 hours ago, Beauregard said:

I recently started using my Kindle Paperwhite again.  I love it and daily review the Kindle Daily Deals to try and find an inexpensive copy of books from my TBR.    

I have to keep better track of those daily deals, I've missed a few already.

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

bought the missus one about 4 years ago. She used it for about 1 week. I think she likes turning physical pages. I tend to buy all the free books on amazon as they come up, and if i think we might read them one day. I'm up to around 500 now 😁

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

2 hours ago, Pasanda said:

bought the missus one about 4 years ago. She used it for about 1 week. I think she likes turning physical pages. I tend to buy all the free books on amazon as they come up, and if i think we might read them one day. I'm up to around 500 now 😁

If it's something I'm enjoying I like having a physical copy to go with it.  There is something about turning pages that is satisfying.

Steve IRL

Have any of you tried to jail break your Kindle?  Always nervous to do this kind of stuff, not sure it's worth the hassle.

https://liliputing.com/2020/12/jailbreak-for-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-current-gen.html?amp#csi=0&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Steve IRL

Not here, no. If my wife had been interested in the device, then i might have. But it's currently gathering dust with about 2 hours use in total.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist