Check out our new Book Club featuring at least one read along each month!  This months book is Priest of Bones

Sign in to follow this  
Pasanda

Lego UCS 1989 Batmobile

As soon as i saw this, around 6 months ago, i knew i needed it in my life. Aside from the Tumbler (possibly), this has always been my favourite batmobile. 

First thing to say is that it's not Lego. Nor is it Lepin. It's unbranded. So it's about a third the cost of the Lego version. Cheaper again than the Lepin version. But definitely lower standard than both of those too. I'd suggest i had about 8 missing pieces in all - most of those were fairly common and can be replaced by anyone who has lego in their lives from other sets. There was one piece that i couldn't replace, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Second thing to say is that it's BIG. It weighs in at over 3Kg (around 7lb), and consists of around 3500 bricks. It's about 69cm long.

The cockpit slides forward, steering wheel turns the wheels, and the exhaust can be turned to raise the machine guns out of the engine bay. It also comes with a rotating display stand, 3 relevant minifigs and (for some reason i cannot fathom), a mini version of the same batmobile.

Built is over Xmas. In all it took a lazy 3 weeks. I used super glue to fuse the skeleton for stability (as i have with many sets), and a few loose fitting areas. In all, definitely worthwhile, But i probably wouldn't have paid lego prices for it. One more photo, when it's in its final resting place.

IMG_20210109_133500.jpg

IMG_20210109_133511.jpg

IMG_20210109_133534.jpg

IMG_20210109_133614.jpg

IMG_20210109_133655.jpg

IMG_20210111_084954.jpg

IMG_20210109_133324.jpg

IMG_20210109_133334.jpg

IMG_20210109_133359.jpg

IMG_20210109_133415.jpg

IMG_20210109_133424.jpg

IMG_20210109_133438.jpg

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

7 lbs?  That thing is huge.  I'm guessing superglue is a requirement with that kind of weight if you don't want to take a chance it will fall apart

Steve IRL

Reading: Gardens of the Moon

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

Yeah. Dropping a lego model can be heartbreaking. They, selfishly, don't fall apart in the order of the instructions. So you sometimes need to go through the entire book again. I dropped the 8000 piece falcon moving it upstairs. It took a few days to reassemble. Glueing certain parts just minimises the loss and increases rigidity of larger models. 

Although I also think the delicacy/transience of lego is part of its appeal. 

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist