Check out our new Book Club featuring at least one read along each month!  This months book is One Way

Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Hard Drive Issue

Have an issue that I can't figure out and it's driving me crazy.

A few weeks ago my SSD (primary, windows install) started grinding every 5 seconds.  I checked for errors on the drive and I ran process monitor.

I couldn't find anything in process monitor that is posting every 5 seconds, and the things that were close I checked into.  I deleted programs that I thought might be causing the issue, but it's still happening.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Steve IRL

Reading: The Blade Itself

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

I had an SSD fail a couple of months ago.  Sometimes windows would boot to a blue screen with an error code about a graphics driver.  Other times, I'd be fine.  Other times I would log into windows and chrome would fail.  Turned out the error codes were worthless and the real problem was the SSD.

My lesson learned ... SSD issues can manifest themselves in all kinds of ways.  The only fix is to eliminate all other variables and replace.

Had an SSD issue a few weeks back, i couldn't even reformat. I had to move it to a new rig during the upgrade and it's been 100% since then. I think it might have been a poor connection on the sata data cable.

I've not used cloning s/w before.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

Had an SSD issue a few weeks back, i couldn't even reformat. I had to move it to a new rig during the upgrade and it's been 100% since then. I think it might have been a poor connection on the sata data cable.

I've not used cloning s/w before.

I'm just being lazy and not feeling like a fresh install. 😐

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

So... I replaced my SSD.  Spent the day cloning it and getting it setup.  Then figured out it wasn't that drive that was clicking. 🔨

Steve IRL

12 hours ago, Lasraik said:

So... I replaced my SSD.  Spent the day cloning it and getting it setup.  Then figured out it wasn't that drive that was clicking. 🔨

Soo, did you run chkdsk? 

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

I think next I should check temps, maybe it's getting too hot in the case.  They feel warmer than they probably should.  Maybe that's causing it?

Steve IRL

Figured out what the problem was.  The fan that cools the hard drive bays was disconnected, probably when I switched CPU fans.  Either forgot to plug it back in or didn't realize it had been unplugged.  Either way, plugged it back in and the clicking stopped. 

I don't know how I worked on this stuff for so long, I don't miss it at all.  🤬🔨

Steve IRL

13 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Gosh. That's a bit random. Never had a HDD overheat before. I probably don't work them as hard as you :)

Glad you resolved it.

It was clicking even when it was idle, so that made it worse

Steve IRL