Check out our new Book Club featuring at least one read along each month!  This months book is One Way

Lasraik

The Blade Itself Discussion Thread

Remember to use the spoiler tag when posting spoilers and please specify the chapter so we don't accidentally get spoiled 😎

Steve IRL

Reading: The Blade Itself

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

Realized the chapters aren't numbered in the book, making it more difficult to let everyone know what chapter you're on to avoid spoilers.  Here are the chapter names and corresponding numbers:

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 		The End
Chapter 2 		Survivors
Chapter 3 		Questions
Chapter 4               No Choice at All
Chapter 5               Playing with Knives
Chapter 6		Teeth and Fingers
Chapter 7		The Wide and Barren North
Chapter 8		Fencing Practice
Chapter 9		The Morning Ritual
Chapter 10		First of the Magi
Chapter 11		The Good Man
Chapter 12		On the List
Chapter 13 		An Offer and a Gift
Chapter 14		The King of the Northmen
Chapter 15		A Road Between Two Dentists
Chapter 16		Flatheads
Chapter 17		The Course of True Love
Chapter 18		How Dogs Are Trained
Chapter 19		Tea and Vengeance
Chapter 20		What Freedom Looks Like
Chapter 21		The King's Justice
Chapter 22		Means of Escape
Chapter 23		Three Signs
Chapter 24		The Theatrical Outfitter's
Chapter 25		Barbarians at the Gate
Chapter 26		Next
Chapter 27		Better than Death
Chapter 28		Sore Thumb
Chapter 29		Questions
Chapter 30		Nobility
Chapter 31		Dark Work
Chapter 32		Words and Dust
Chapter 33		The Remarkable Talents
Chapter 34		Her Kind Fight Everything
Chapter 35		She Loves Me...Not
Chapter 36		The Seed
Chapter 37		Never Bet Against a Magus
Chapter 38		The Ideal Audience
Chapter 39		The House of the Maker
Chapter 40		Nobody's Dog
Chapter 41		Each Man Worships Himself
Chapter 42		Old Friends
Chapter 43		Back To the Mud
Chapter 44		Misery
Chapter 45		The Bloody-Nine
Chapter 46		The Tools We Have

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads

2 hours ago, Lezlie said:

How are spoiler tags done here? I used the ones that we use in Discord and they didn't work.  lol

Here you go:

Steve IRL

Aha! Thank you!

Well since yesterday, I've gotten far enough in to know I'm in love with this book.  I'm a huge fan of character driven stories, so this one is right up my alley.  I'm liking ALL the characters too, even the ones I think are supposed to be "bad".  That's the mark of a great author that can make you a fan of everyone.  Really looking forward to delving in more this afternoon!!

15 hours ago, Lezlie said:

Aha! Thank you!

Well since yesterday, I've gotten far enough in to know I'm in love with this book.  I'm a huge fan of character driven stories, so this one is right up my alley.  I'm liking ALL the characters too, even the ones I think are supposed to be "bad".  That's the mark of a great author that can make you a fan of everyone.  Really looking forward to delving in more this afternoon!!

I'm loving it too.  Abercrombies writing is right up my alley.  I wouldn't call it a page turner, but definitely dont want to put it down.  Find myself laughing at things when I maybe shouldn't be. 

We have to be realistic about these things

Steve IRL

Haha, I also chuckled out loud a couple of times. Yes, it's grimdark but not nearly as dark as I thought it would be. And the characters are all so well developed. I don't think there are any downright psychopaths. All of them are morally grey but you can understand where they are coming from. I don't have my book at hand but I'll add some spoiler stuff later!

Okay, so glad - because I have definitely laughed at a few things that I immediately felt shame for doing it....(but then I would laugh at that too!)

I did as much as I could yesterday in order to free up as much time as possible to work on reading this one today.  I agree with you Steve, it's not exactly a page turner, but it is extremely interesting.  I am just really enjoying the character development.

No spoilers ahead: Just some general feelings I have about the book so far.....

Really enjoying this book! Although it is a MAJOR departure from the kind of reading that I am really into (mostly contemporary romance) .. It is more character heavy and less plot heavy, so far (only on chapter 17). I have had some laugh out loud moments for sure, and about things I thought maybe I shouldn't be laughing about, kind of a feeling of some dark humor here, which I love. 

I have to say though, I had to stop reading the other day so that I could do some cleaning and cook dinner and was not ready to stop, so I thought why not try the audible version while I work, and it is great! I have not dabbled too much in audio books before, but wow, the narrator is pretty good and just adds another level of entertainment and humor to this story. Strongly recommend listening to the audio version if that sort of thing interests you.

I agree @BrandieNoel - I have found myself chuckling quite a bit.  I've decided that this book is The Office of fantasy books.  I've really liked all the characters thus far (even the ones I think I'm not supposed to)  I can't wait to pick it back up after dinner, because I had to stop at a really interesting part!

10 hours ago, Lezlie said:

I agree @BrandieNoel - I have found myself chuckling quite a bit.  I've decided that this book is The Office of fantasy books.  I've really liked all the characters thus far (even the ones I think I'm not supposed to)  I can't wait to pick it back up after dinner, because I had to stop at a really interesting part!

The Office of history books is a great comparison. 

Steve IRL

Spoiler for Chapter 35 - She Loves Me...Not

Spoiler

I completely lost it when Jezal said 'I think you should watch your mouth, you son of a f*cking wh*re'. And then completely led himself go by saying to his friends he was going to carve them like a chicken. I could so vividly imagine the whole thing going down in my mind. There are more instances like this in the book as said before, but this one was a gem imo.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:06 PM, Jolien Reads said:

Spoiler for Chapter 35 - She Loves Me...Not

Hide contents

I completely lost it when Jezal said 'I think you should watch your mouth, you son of a f*cking wh*re'. And then completely led himself go by saying to his friends he was going to carve them like a chicken. I could so vividly imagine the whole thing going down in my mind. There are more instances like this in the book as said before, but this one was a gem imo.

Spoilers for chapter 35:

Spoiler

I thought it was a nice moment when Jezal admits to himself he really likes Ardee because she doesn't want him but still can't help himself. She treats him the way he thinks he should be treated, with contempt.

Spoilers for Chapter 43 Old Friends

Spoiler

This is the first time Glokta (that I can remember) allowed himself to be vulnerable in front of anyone.  After we find out why he feels this way around West it made him feel more human and there really is something inside of him other than anger and frustration.

Steve IRL

Chapter 28 - Sore Thumb

Spoiler

"pissing shelf" This whole scene with The Bloody Nine and the latrine was cracking me up!

Chapter 29- Questions

Spoiler

"do you know anything about banks? "Big Buildings. They lend people money." Then Glotkta says "I had no idea you were such an expert." LOL

I heard this part on the audio book, and the narrator just captures Glotka's sarcasm spectacularly. I was dying!

All done!

Spoiler

The end of the book made me want to start the second book right away, lots left unanswered and some new adventures to look forward to.  I love Ferro.  "You stupid, heavy pink bastard!"

Steve IRL

Spoiler

"You see no colours, right?"

"No colours at all."

"So why do you call me pink?"

Spoiler

Also I take back calling Logan "The bloody nine" when he was in the toilet. I just truly met "the bloody nine" in chapter 45. WHOA!