Join the book club and read our book of the month:  This months book is Neuromancer.  Live stream discussion will be Sunday, April 18th at 1pm MST please RSVP if you will be attending 

Soot

New to grimdark: suggestions please

Having never read a proper grimdark novel I'm looking for suggestions on a good place to start.  Authors or specific books will do

Currently reading

Gardens of the Moon, Book of the Fallen #1

My first grimdark book was Priest of Bones for our January book of the month.  I thought it was a good jumping on point, didn't seem too far grimdark but enough to get a taste. 

Steve IRL

Reading: Last Argument of Kings

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I would like to suggest Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. It's the first book in a trilogy, but I've only read the first one (need to pick up the second one asap...) However, it can definitely be read as a standalone and I thought the story was very interesting!

30 minutes ago, Jolien Reads said:

I would like to suggest Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. It's the first book in a trilogy, but I've only read the first one (need to pick up the second one asap...) However, it can definitely be read as a standalone and I thought the story was very interesting!

This is on my list now too

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

13 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I really liked Blood Song, and went straight into Tower Lord. I found the 2nd a very different experience, and didn't enjoy the writing style so much - but fair play to Ryan for being able to be so different. The fact that every chapter started with an account of a scribe called Vernier, felt an overall unnecessary waste of ink and the book would have been no worse without those interludes. I did enjoy the relationship between Vaelin and Reva very much, and their "road trip" was great. Not terrible by any stretch. Just a teeny bit of a let down after Blood Song. I never managed the third (i think...?).

Thanks for reminding me of it though. Great to remember back.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

The first law trilogy (and subsequent novels) by Joe Abercrombie is a slow start as far as plot, but only because the character development is so extensive. The characters are excellent; and there are many, many great ones. the first 3 books give way to some excellent standalone novels, and another superb trilogy. It's THE quintessential Gimdark as far as I'm concerned. Also- (while I know it's a polarizing subject) the audiobooks are all narrated by Steven Pacey who does an incredible job at bringing the characters to life. I've read and listened to most of these, and I'm honestly not sure which I like better at this point.

10 hours ago, insight76 said:

The first law trilogy (and subsequent novels) by Joe Abercrombie is a slow start as far as plot, but only because the character development is so extensive. The characters are excellent; and there are many, many great ones. the first 3 books give way to some excellent standalone novels, and another superb trilogy. It's THE quintessential Gimdark as far as I'm concerned. Also- (while I know it's a polarizing subject) the audiobooks are all narrated by Steven Pacey who does an incredible job at bringing the characters to life. I've read and listened to most of these, and I'm honestly not sure which I like better at this point.

I usually don't listen to audio books because they don't hold my attention - I wish they would because I'd get through a lot more books.  After the recent group discussions for our First Law read I feel like I'm missing out on the experience not listening to the audio books.  I might go back and listen to at least a few chapters to get the full experience

Steve IRL

3 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

I just bought Dreams of the Dying by Nicolas Lietzau. It promises to be grimdark. The synopsis and summaries I've seen on booktube sound like a cross between Hobb's Farseer, Inception, and Chasing Graves.

Adding that to my tbr

Steve IRL