Join the book club and read our book of the month:  This months book is Neuromancer.  Live stream discussion will be Sunday, April 18th at 1pm MST please RSVP if you will be attending 

@Jolien Reads I noticed you asked a question on Discord about analytics.  Sounds like you have a pretty good retention rate, I people watching half of a video is normal.  Here's mine:

a1.PNG

a2.PNG

a3.PNG

a4.PNG

I'm surprised Twitter has such a high percentage, and equally surprised Discord is 14.7%.  I don't really like Discord and I wonder if it's worth the time. 

For more information on analytics, I found this useful:

Steve IRL

Reading: Last Argument of Kings

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Interesting! When I get home from work I'll look a little bit deeper into it.

Just looked and my current video has a little bit over 6 minutes of average view duration... For a 18 min video that probably isn't the best haha. But I'm already glad that it's pretty much the same for everyone.

6 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

Interesting! When I get home from work I'll look a little bit deeper into it.

Just looked and my current video has a little bit over 6 minutes of average view duration... For a 18 min video that probably isn't the best haha. But I'm already glad that it's pretty much the same for everyone.

That's pretty good from what I've seen.  It's funny that the videos I spend the least amount of time on are the most watched.  🤷‍♂️

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Surprised I have so many Facebook hits, I think Richard Nell shared the video there and led to a big bump which was nice.  

I was hesitant to try Twitter but as long as you steer clear of the bullshit it’s not too bad.  There are some supportive people there.

Low numbers from Discord and I don’t know if I’ll continue to use it.  

E1CE6C3D-676E-4C7D-ABCB-31E2FD405165.png

Steve IRL

@Jolien Reads @Raul Reads@JohnsNovels @Nakia's Hideaway @GeekletReadsStuff @Affinity for MTG @Spread Book Joy @Pato the reader: Diana

Do any of you take lots of time analyzing your analytics on YouTube?  Retention, reach, engagement ect?

Steve IRL

I don't spend a ton of time deep-diving into my analytics, I've reached a point where I generally know which videos will do well (guides) and which don't (gameplay) but I don't really let it determine what types of videos I make. I also think that, having made videos for so long (4 years now) I'm less focused on day-to-day analytics and like to look at the big picture. I spend more time looking at quarter-by-quarter trends as opposed to the day-by-day spikes and falls.

Youtube occasionally has this monthly/daily button in the dashboard, and I find the Monthly tab much more useful, but the feature isn't always available for some reason.1.thumb.jpg.39d0dfe1c27fb33af371c9dd8628caeb.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.fd89cc21e59465098b3e7358feec167a.jpg

Check out my Youtube channel: Affinity for MTG

@LasraikI'm actually pretty new to the booktube community but not YouTube. I got the majority of my subscribers years ago when I made hair videos. Surprised a lot of them haven't unsubscribed. So since I have a mixture of old and new subscribers I do like to check to see how many new subscribers I've gotten. Other than that I don't really check my analytics too much. I haven't really gotten into a flow of booktube videos yet. Still trying things out.

I think a lot of the low watch time comes from mobile viewers casually flicking through videos. It might also count auto-plays, where someone finishes a video, the next one starts auto-playing and they click away after a few seconds.

I've also wondered if people returning to a video to post in the comments affects average watch time, since they technically play a minute or so of a video while posting.

I kind of wish instead of "average" watch time there was a "mean" watch time, which would probably be more accurate.

Check out my Youtube channel: Affinity for MTG

Steve, I never look at the analytics jajajaj. I am very lazy but I think it is a good idea to look at them if you want to grow your channel and be monetized fast. For me, I really just want to keep a record of what I read, it is super helpful specially when reading series to go back to my thoughts and listen to my own videos. That is probably why I am not super popular in booktube jajajajaj. I should pay more attention to what people like. From my own videos I have seen people Book hauls, and reviews not necessarily do great at first but over time gain more views. It is funny my most watched videos are reviews of books that are not super popular in my opinion, no spoiler reviews. Every time I have done a spoiler filled review those do not do as well, my guess is people are just looking for recommendations. Probably will do well if it is something with a huge fandom like wheel of time, stormlight archive etc. you are doing great!  And I think it is great that you are paying attention to all these things, I should!

I actually never look at these things, with the exception of how my latest video is doing (Dashboard). And that's just out of curiosity, I don't change anything based on those figures. But it is nice to see which videos do well and what doesn't get the clicks. To be honest what I would like to know most of all is the hour I should upload because I really have no idea.

Some of my screenshots, I don't even know what some of those things mean... :

afbeelding.png.8cba3698445c0b985e1eef0492d6d252.png

afbeelding.png.90516f6a2d2572192cd6b39911ff2d70.png

afbeelding.png.f7df2f3fa6be5b19b9fe6b983e2d6b50.png

On 4/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, Nakia's Hideaway said:

@Jolien Reads It does seem normal for people not to watch an entire video according to YouTube analytics. Even with the bigger YouTubers. Which is crazy to me. Guess I'm weird because I usually watch a video until the end. 

I always watch the whole video, too.  It's weird to jump on and watch a few seconds then jump off.  I would be curious to see what the analytics for channels who have tens of thousands of subs look like.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:28 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

I think a lot of the low watch time comes from mobile viewers casually flicking through videos. It might also count auto-plays, where someone finishes a video, the next one starts auto-playing and they click away after a few seconds.

I've also wondered if people returning to a video to post in the comments affects average watch time, since they technically play a minute or so of a video while posting.

I kind of wish instead of "average" watch time there was a "mean" watch time, which would probably be more accurate.

That's a good point.  I noticed some videos that auto play while I'm scrolling have the viewed bar on them, that could be a big factor.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, Raul Reads said:

I tend not to pay too much attention to it because that hinders my creativity. If I start to just make videos that gets clicks. I lose the enjoyment of it. 

This is what I try to avoid, if you pay too much attention you stop doing what you want to do and instead trying to please everyone. 

6 hours ago, Pato the reader: Diana said:

Steve, I never look at the analytics jajajaj. I am very lazy but I think it is a good idea to look at them if you want to grow your channel and be monetized fast. For me, I really just want to keep a record of what I read, it is super helpful specially when reading series to go back to my thoughts and listen to my own videos. That is probably why I am not super popular in booktube jajajajaj. I should pay more attention to what people like. From my own videos I have seen people Book hauls, and reviews not necessarily do great at first but over time gain more views. It is funny my most watched videos are reviews of books that are not super popular in my opinion, no spoiler reviews. Every time I have done a spoiler filled review those do not do as well, my guess is people are just looking for recommendations. Probably will do well if it is something with a huge fandom like wheel of time, stormlight archive etc. you are doing great!  And I think it is great that you are paying attention to all these things, I should!

I don't do spoiler reviews, either.  I try not to pay too much attention to the numbers and graphs, it will drive you crazy. 

3 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I actually never look at these things, with the exception of how my latest video is doing (Dashboard). And that's just out of curiosity, I don't change anything based on those figures. But it is nice to see which videos do well and what doesn't get the clicks. To be honest what I would like to know most of all is the hour I should upload because I really have no idea.

Some of my screenshots, I don't even know what some of those things mean... :

afbeelding.png.8cba3698445c0b985e1eef0492d6d252.png

afbeelding.png.90516f6a2d2572192cd6b39911ff2d70.png

afbeelding.png.f7df2f3fa6be5b19b9fe6b983e2d6b50.png

For as many people are using Discord and specifically for booktube creators, I'm surprised the referrals are so low.  Even for my video it was always under 10% and Twitter (that I didn't pay much attention to) was always 2x or 3x more.  I've thought about using Instagram again, but not sure I'm ready. 

Your channel is doing great though!  I noticed you've had a big jump in the last month or two

Steve IRL