Join the book club and read our book of the month:  This months book is Neuromancer.  Live stream discussion will be Sunday, April 18th at 1pm MST please RSVP if you will be attending 

Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Microsoft Reportedly In Talks to Purchase Discord for Over $10 Billion

View article here: https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-reportedly-in-talks-to-purchase-discord-for-over-10-billion

I don't really care for Discord, but this would be bad news for the people who do enjoy using it imho.  For the sake of a few companies owning everything, I hope they don't sell and instead go public.  But when you have a 10 billion dollar offer in front of you I'm guessing it's hard to resist 🤑

Steve IRL

Reading: Last Argument of Kings

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

7 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

That's a ludicrous amount of money, for what i thought was a shit app. So glad you moved on Las.

For the amount of people who use it, it might not be a bad investment for them.  But they'll find a way to make it worse, that's what they do.

I really thought Discord would work out for us, but it's a glorified chat room and reminded me of MIRC from way back.  It does what it does OK I guess for people who don't want the functionality and like the portability of it but maybe I'm just getting old.

grandpa.jpg

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

7 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I'm not a big fan of MS Teams, either.

We were told to use it at work for about 10 minutes, it didn't last long.  Really cumbersome.

Steve IRL

Ah yes MS Teams....

I think part of the appeal IS that it is like those IRC chat rooms from back in the day, in these modern days of Facebook social feeds and twatter hashtags instead of forums...

"I demand your respect!"

"No, you demand my attention."

Large corporations like Apple and MicroSoft are out there looking to scoop up as many divergent technologies as they can so as to push out a comprehensive suite of products that will capture and keep consumers in their ecosystem. 

The problems with that strategy are that consumers have different needs and those needs are ever evolving, consumers want freedom to use the products that provide the best overall experience for their specific needs, and someone else will always build a better mousetrap to capture consumer's attention.  If you prevent consumers from going where they can obtain the best experience (for themselves), or make it extremely cumbersome to do so, then you risk disenchanting them to your product.

If you're a small developer with an implementable idea, and you can produce a prototype product that meets a consumer market segment need - especially one that when offered for cheap or free draws consumers away from large corporation's products - then you're soon on the fast track to great wealth as those large corporations stumble over themselves to buy you out.

Good on Discord if they can get it, but this hegemonic and monopolistic practice is not good for consumers.  Who do you think will ultimately pay for that 10-billion dollar acquisition?  The future consumers of that ecosystem will be forced pay for it through upgraded fees and higher prices.

Edited by Elovia

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

On 3/26/2021 at 7:15 PM, Lasraik said:

We were told to use it at work for about 10 minutes, it didn't last long.  Really cumbersome.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:06 PM, Elovia said:

I'm not a big fan of MS Teams, either.

We have Teams too.  But we use Cisco (Jabber+WebEx), if you remove that functionality from teams, then I'm not sure what the value is.  Seems like they are trying to give me something that I don't want and have no use for.

What MS should do is figure out a way for Outlook to sift through the 1000 emails I get every day and highlight the ones I actually have to read.  That would be nice.

We use Teams loads every day. I think it's great. Still loads for MS to do on it, and for me it was a huge conceptual leap to take before i really understood it. But it's working and improving how we work.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist