Join the book club and read our book of the month:  This months book is Neuromancer.  Live stream discussion will be Sunday, April 18th at 1pm MST please RSVP if you will be attending 

Sign in to follow this  
Dunnar

NBA ratings

NBA RATINGS CONTINUE PRE-PANDEMIC NOSEDIVE

NBA ratings have tanked and continue to tank.  A lot of folks blame the pandemic, or the social issues.  I believe both have contributed a lot.

I watch sports to get away from everything else.  I dont watch basketball to hear political views.  Mixing the 2 pushes me away.

One other thing I haven't heard being discussed is the loss of streaming services.  I cut cable, as have many.  Somewhere around the new year, my hulu bill went up and they took away the Fox channel that carried the Cavs and Indians.  Always a great recipe to start charging more for less.  So, I ditched Hulu all together.  Now I dont watch anything ... and I am still alive.

In many markets, the only way to watch is with cable.  In my opinion, this is an incredibly stupid decision by the sports leagues and service providers.

25 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

NBA RATINGS CONTINUE PRE-PANDEMIC NOSEDIVE

NBA ratings have tanked and continue to tank.  A lot of folks blame the pandemic, or the social issues.  I believe both have contributed a lot.

I watch sports to get away from everything else.  I dont watch basketball to hear political views.  Mixing the 2 pushes me away.

One other thing I haven't heard being discussed is the loss of streaming services.  I cut cable, as have many.  Somewhere around the new year, my hulu bill went up and they took away the Fox channel that carried the Cavs and Indians.  Always a great recipe to start charging more for less.  So, I ditched Hulu all together.  Now I dont watch anything ... and I am still alive.

In many markets, the only way to watch is with cable.  In my opinion, this is an incredibly stupid decision by the sports leagues and service providers.

The streaming services are making so much money with their own content or existing content.  With sports leagues wanting billions for their packages, it's just not worth it for them when they are the future.  The sports leagues will eventually be coming to them instead of the other way around.

When the pandemic started and sports stopped, I think lots of people changed their perspective.  They started spending their time doing other things and didn't miss sports as much as they thought.  They moved on and stopped caring.  The NBA specifically went overboard with it, threatening to stop the season every week or so.  The NBA did a good job with the bubble tournament last year but I just didn't care.  The NBA ratings have been on a decline for years, but the pandemic and their decisions accelerated it.

Steve IRL

Reading: Last Argument of Kings

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero