Join the book club and read our book of the month:  This months book is Neuromancer.  Live stream discussion will be Sunday, April 18th at 1pm MST please RSVP if you will be attending 

Lasraik

Neuromancer Discussion Thread

Just started it, but it feels really dense and full of information.  My mind can't help but picture Cyberpunk 2077 as I read it 🦿

Steve IRL

Reading: Last Argument of Kings

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I have to jack in and give this book a re-read one of these days.  It is certainly deserving of one.  Maybe then I won’t get so bogged down in all the technical jargon and frenetic pacing.   Gibson writes with a unique writing cadence/style that took a while getting used to.   I found myself rereading a few parts because I thought, “WTF did I just read?” or “WTF is happening here?”  Actually, that happened more than I’d like to admit.   I pushed on and continued to progress and finally was able to enjoy the story—especially the latter half.   I found myself reading about the plot on Wikipedia due to my initial confusion.   

I can see why this book has so many mixed reviews.   I feel like readers love it or hate it.   At least that’s the impression I got from reading reviews on Goodreads.   Personally, I did not love this book, nor did I hate it.  I do, however, appreciate its cultural significance.   I am glad I read it and I now have a better understanding of people’s fascination with it.  

I read this book on Kindle and was thankful for the “X-ray” feature.  I was looking up words all throughout the book.   What’s that term?  Oh yeah, that word is a term for a cigarette.   Jesus, why not just write “cigarette”?  I had those thoughts for quite a few terms.   

Ask someone who doesn’t know the year when this book was written and I’ll bet that they will never say the early 1980s.  Almost 40 years old and the technology mentioned in this book is still fresh and relevant.   Amazing!

I loved reading “Some Dark Holler” by Jack Womack at the end of the book.  This can be read at anytime since there are no spoilers.   I found it to be a fabulous tribute to Gibson and this book.  

My favorite character was Dixie Flatline.   I also liked the “ugly as living hell” character of Ratz.   What a great physical description.  

12 hours ago, Beauregard said:

I have to jack in and give this book a re-read one of these days.  It is certainly deserving of one.  Maybe then I won’t get so bogged down in all the technical jargon and frenetic pacing.   Gibson writes with a unique writing cadence/style that took a while getting used to.   I found myself rereading a few parts because I thought, “WTF did I just read?” or “WTF is happening here?”  Actually, that happened more than I’d like to admit.   I pushed on and continued to progress and finally was able to enjoy the story—especially the latter half.   I found myself reading about the plot on Wikipedia due to my initial confusion.   

I can see why this book has so many mixed reviews.   I feel like readers love it or hate it.   At least that’s the impression I got from reading reviews on Goodreads.   Personally, I did not love this book, nor did I hate it.  I do, however, appreciate its cultural significance.   I am glad I read it and I now have a better understanding of people’s fascination with it.  

I read this book on Kindle and was thankful for the “X-ray” feature.  I was looking up words all throughout the book.   What’s that term?  Oh yeah, that word is a term for a cigarette.   Jesus, why not just write “cigarette”?  I had those thoughts for quite a few terms.   

Ask someone who doesn’t know the year when this book was written and I’ll bet that they will never say the early 1980s.  Almost 40 years old and the technology mentioned in this book is still fresh and relevant.   Amazing!

I loved reading “Some Dark Holler” by Jack Womack at the end of the book.  This can be read at anytime since there are no spoilers.   I found it to be a fabulous tribute to Gibson and this book.  

My favorite character was Dixie Flatline.   I also liked the “ugly as living hell” character of Ratz.   What a great physical description.  

I had no idea that was a term for cigarette.  There are lots of instances like this.  BTW is this book where Microsoft got their name?

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

23 minutes ago, Beauregard said:

I think it’s a cigarette.  I could be mistaken though.   
I wouldn’t doubt it regarding the microsoft term.   This book has the first instance of the term “cyberspace” though.  

That's another term that was coined in this one, I was wondering that.  This book influenced so much of our pop culture it's almost eerie reading it now.

Steve IRL

1 hour ago, Stacyejaye said:

It reminds me of the movie Johnny Mnemonic

That’s kind of where my brain is going as I read to visualize the text.  

Steve IRL

OK, maybe I'm just a knucklehead but is anyone else feeling lost occasionally while reading this one?  Sometimes I turn back to a few pages to make sure I didn't skip a page or miss something, not always following who is who and since it depends on if they are in the real world or cyberspace it's a little confusing.

... or is it just me?

Steve IRL

I was reading the book and listening to the audio at the same time so I could get it all in (audio and visually speaking) but I got really far behind with the audio and kept plowing through reading it.   I referred to Wikipedia to make sure I understood the plot.  I did that multiple times.   I tried not to read ahead on the Wikipedia plot page so as not to spoil it for me.   Wikipedia helped me get through the first half.   I found the second half of the book a little easier to get through.   

35 minutes ago, Stacyejaye said:

DNF at 54% ☹️

I just didn't find the story compelling enough to endure the writing. At first I thought the technology (this being a 40 year old book) was intriguing, but then I would get lost and not understand what the heck they were talking about.

Hope you still make it to the live stream!

Steve IRL

2 hours ago, Stacyejaye said:

You sure you want me there? Mama said, "if you have nothing nice to say..."

Yeah of course!  It'll be a good time even if it's negative 😆

I finished it, but honestly I have no idea WTF was going on most of the time.  It will be a two or three read situation before it makes sense for my little brain.  I think I'll have to take @Beauregard's example and check some wiki's

Steve IRL

Spoilers for the book:

Spoiler

It's a little surprising how many other science fiction properties have used or just ripped ideas from this book:

The Matrix movies, Zion seems to have come from here.

Microsoft

Augmented humans

Movies like Johnny Mnemonic

Everything cyberpunk related

I found myself lost most of the time with the terminology.  Some of the writing was really good, but maybe I'm too much of a dunce to understand it.  Another problem I think I have with this book (and why some people may find more enjoyment out of it) is I don't have that vivid of an imagination.  I struggled with picturing what was happening from the page into my brain.  While I appreciate that this is considered a classic and groundbreaking, it's just not something I enjoyed a whole lot.  Looking forward to the stream, maybe together we can make sense of it!

Steve IRL