Lasraik

What are you currently listening to?

On 2/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, Pasanda said:

...and on a similar tip, the theme from the Detectorists. Although it stands up by itself as a beautiful song, once you've seen the series it become additionally very evocative of the feel of this amazing bit of TV. Never have i had that "sink down in the sofa and smile contentedly" feeling as i have when the show starts and that theme plays. 

If you've not seen it, please try.

Proper telly magic.

I dig it!

Steve IRL

Reading: Aching God

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I've been meaning to do another "Elovia's deep dive into the archives" ...

... and so ... (spoiler for NSFW album cover)

Spoiler

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

Ok, so... definitely interested in learning y'alls musical taste. As a musician... I'm kind of all over the place and go through phases sometimes.

So, I'm mostly a metal guy. Some favorites are: Opeth, Be'Lakor, Swallow the Sun, Omnium Gatherum, Jinjer, Lamb of God, Necrophagist, Ghost.

In the less extreme rock/metal genre... pretty much all classic rock (Boston is a fave) and the 90's grunge era (Alice in Chains). Also into the NuMetal type stuff and other genres from the 2000's: Chevelle, Sevendust, Drowning Pool, etc.

On the flip side... I hit a bit of a rough patch in life about 10 yrs ago and got into reggae. Some favorites: Stick Figure, The Movement, Slightly Stoopid, Fortunate Youth, Rebelution, John Browns Body, 10 Foot Ganja Plant, and Eek-a-mouse.

So, right now.. I've been listening to mostly Be'Lakor because I recently discovered them and they have a new album dropping real soon.

Most of my friends aren't into the metal, so when I have company is usually a mix of grunge & reggae on the playlist.

I've heard of a lot of those but couldn't tell you a single song 😅 Need to step up my game!

On 4/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, Lasraik said:

I've seen them live two times now. Not her per se, but Postmodern Jukebox in general. It's a group of a lot of musicians/singers who make oldschool covers of very famous modern songs. Haley Reinhart (the girl in your video) is one of my favorites.

I wanted to share one of my favorite Belgian musicians, Tamino. I think he has a beautiful voice.

6 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I've heard of a lot of those but couldn't tell you a single song 😅 Need to step up my game!

I'm always happy to recommend songs, so just let me know.

I will tell you a lil about Opeth. They are a pretty interesting band with several different sounds. Early on they were very death metal, but most albums still had one or two tracks that were either instrumental or almost kind of folksy. Most tracks include a mixture of clean and growling vocals. There is even an album that is only acoustic (Damnation) with clean vocals. Their newer albums do not have the growling vocals either. 

Their diverse sound and each song being a bit of a roller-coaster is why I enjoy them so much. I would recommend the songs Harlequin Forest and Bleak. If you check them out, let me know whatcha think.

11 hours ago, Brad said:

I'm always happy to recommend songs, so just let me know.

I will tell you a lil about Opeth. They are a pretty interesting band with several different sounds. Early on they were very death metal, but most albums still had one or two tracks that were either instrumental or almost kind of folksy. Most tracks include a mixture of clean and growling vocals. There is even an album that is only acoustic (Damnation) with clean vocals. Their newer albums do not have the growling vocals either. 

Their diverse sound and each song being a bit of a roller-coaster is why I enjoy them so much. I would recommend the songs Harlequin Forest and Bleak. If you check them out, let me know whatcha think.

I'm currently at work but I'll listen to the two sons you recommended when I get home, thanks!

On 9/14/2021 at 3:41 AM, Jolien Reads said:

I'm currently at work but I'll listen to the two sons you recommended when I get home, thanks!

I get a lil excited talking about music..curious if you ever listened to those songs?

Over and over...

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:01 AM, Brad said:

I get a lil excited talking about music..curious if you ever listened to those songs?

I listened to the first one (Harlequin Forest) and it feels like it almost feels like it's a mix of multiple songs. I really liked the beginning but wasn't a fan of the direction it went afterwards. I think I'll have to listen to it a couple of times to make my mind up! I did like the lyrics a lot, and the tone of his voice. I like it when you have  a different rhythm between the instruments and the voice (he sings rather slow in the beginning). Note: I don't know anything about music so I'm pretty sure I'm using the wrong terms for everything haha!

On 9/17/2021 at 8:34 PM, Jag said:

Over and over...

I defo have a man-crush on Ryan.

But he never even looks at me. Like he doesn't even know i'm there.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

4 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I listened to the first one (Harlequin Forest) and it feels like it almost feels like it's a mix of multiple songs. I really liked the beginning but wasn't a fan of the direction it went afterwards. I think I'll have to listen to it a couple of times to make my mind up! I did like the lyrics a lot, and the tone of his voice. I like it when you have  a different rhythm between the instruments and the voice (he sings rather slow in the beginning). Note: I don't know anything about music so I'm pretty sure I'm using the wrong terms for everything haha!

A lot of their songs often sound like a smooth interlinking of multiple songs... which feels like each song is a journey. What about the direction it took after the beginning didn't you like: not a fan of growling vocals? When it changed directions again, did you like that?

Glad you listened and shared your experience. Don't worry about terminology, it doesn't really matter 🙂

7 hours ago, Brad said:

A lot of their songs often sound like a smooth interlinking of multiple songs... which feels like each song is a journey. What about the direction it took after the beginning didn't you like: not a fan of growling vocals? When it changed directions again, did you like that?

Glad you listened and shared your experience. Don't worry about terminology, it doesn't really matter 🙂

I generally don't like that growling. If it's a little bit harder than normal singing, I'm more of a fan of yelling (or whatever it's called haha) like the band Gallows does. When it changed directions I liked it again! I might also be put off because of the change? If it would have been like that from the beginning I think I would be more used to it.

3 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

I generally don't like that growling. If it's a little bit harder than normal singing, I'm more of a fan of yelling (or whatever it's called haha) like the band Gallows does. When it changed directions I liked it again! I might also be put off because of the change? If it would have been like that from the beginning I think I would be more used to it.

The growling isn't for everyone... some grow to like it, some don't. The Gallows have more of a punk approach... cool jam, by the way. Kinda reminds me of Blur.

If you liked the non-growling parts of Harlequin Forest, you may like their newer music. Check out the song Sorceress (from Sorceress album). You may like the band Mastodon too. A favorite song is Steambreather.

If you are into female lead vocalists and fantasy lyrics, then definitely check out Unleash the Archers... the Apex album. Really awesome band.