Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

The Ketogenic Diet

I'm always hesitant to share information about the diet (I hate calling it a diet) I'm following.  It's more of a lifestyle change and I don't want to be one of those people who treat a diet like a religious cult.

bd0311c1450396e3229048b340a4785cefe694568420d7ee748b44cd6363a818.jpg

Almost two years ago I was tipping the scales at around 290 - 295.  This surprised me because I was eating better and riding my bicycle at least 30 miles a week.  I felt better, but I wasn't seeing results.

The wife and I decided to try the ketogenic diet.  For those who don't know about keto, in a nutshell you don't eat sugar and very little carbs each day along with a high amount of fat.  Instead of burning sugar for energy, your body starts using fat for energy.  Here are a couple of videos that we followed:  general information and getting started.  Sounds weird, eating a lot of fat.  It is weird at first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying keto is good for everyone.  Everyone is different and what works for some people may not work for others. 

My experience with it has been very positive.  When we first started I was concerned with whether it was sustainable or not.  I've tried all the fad diets and fasts, none of them worked.  I needed something I could do for long periods of time and not feel deprived.  The first thing I had to give up was probably the hardest: beer.  I love beer.  But it had to go.  I decided it was either being unhealthy or beer had to go.  So feeling better took precedence over my desire to drink tasty beers.   The other foods like pizza or burger buns weren't that hard for me to give up.  There are alternatives.

After a few weeks of changing how we ate, I went on a 20 mile bike ride and on the way back I must have drained my glycogen reserves because I crashed... hard.  I had no energy and getting home was a challenge.  After that I would burn out faster than I did before while biking, but gradually I felt better and better. 

It seems like that was a turning point for me, because after that my energy levels went way up and my weight started coming down.   After about 6 - 9 months I was down to 230 - 240.  We both hit a stall so we decided to try the carnivore diet.  It was way too restrictive for us, so it didn't last.  Instead we decided to start carb cycling.  Once or twice a week we eat a high amount of healthy carbs like sweet potatoes or beans.  This seemed to jump start our bodies again and keep them guessing.  I feel even better now, although my weight has still bottomed out at 230ish.   Carrying around less weight while cycling had made a huge difference, I work a lot less for the same results.

Wanted to share this information so if someone is considering trying a life change for the new year they can refer to this.  I can answer some questions if you have them, I'm no expert.  Thankfully for me my wife loves to cook and makes some really awesome dishes for us.  I screw up a bowl of cereal.  Here is the instagram account she posts stuff she makes on.

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

If there’s any other Keto people here, this is a great Nutella replacement 

E42A5FCD-2B85-492F-9473-6241AF2AF53D.jpeg

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I'm so glad you started this topic!

Like Steve I also loved beer and I miss it but I feel so much better. I lost my thyroid about 15 years ago due to really bad Grave's disease. I had radiation and had to kill that sucker before it killed me. But my metabolism became very slow. I tried everything to get the weight off and Keto so far has been the only thing that works for me. I started at 208 and am now hovering around 160.  I switched somewhere along the way from being focused on losing weight to chasing the good way I was feeling. I never thought in a million years @Lasraik would ever get me on a bike, but now I love to ride. I actually cried the first time I made it from one end of our city to the other (my first 30 mile ride), never thought that would happen! 

I just made a mother's day purchase of some really great cookbooks to try and mix things up a little and try some new recipes. While I don't use instagram anymore I was planning to share more here. I will definitely be sharing any new recipes I try on my blog here.

It is just something I try to have a lot of fun with, which helps me stick to it!

Brandie

#teamkale

That looks delicious!

I should really start reducing my carb intake. I don't think I'll want to go keto (also don't know if I'm allowed, I've had some damage in the past because I suffered from ketoacidosis when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes) but having a limited amount of carbs (let's say max 100grams a day) would definitely be beneficial for my health. Unfortunately I'm really lazy and often just eat takeaway but something has got to change. I'll check this topic once in a while to see if you have sugar-free recipes that I can easily use!

52 minutes ago, Jolien Reads said:

That looks delicious!

I should really start reducing my carb intake. I don't think I'll want to go keto (also don't know if I'm allowed, I've had some damage in the past because I suffered from ketoacidosis when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes) but having a limited amount of carbs (let's say max 100grams a day) would definitely be beneficial for my health. Unfortunately I'm really lazy and often just eat takeaway but something has got to change. I'll check this topic once in a while to see if you have sugar-free recipes that I can easily use!

Oh we have a ton of sugar free recipes!  Anything you're looking for in particular?

Steve IRL

5 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

That looks delicious!

@Jolien Reads We have been at the low carb thing for 2 years so like Steve said I have a ton of recipes in my toolbox! Our whole family has been sugar free for just as long. So with teenagers we try a lot of things to keep it exciting. It has been so much easier than I thought it would be. So let me know what kinds of things you are looking for, I am happy to share some good recipes!

Brandie

#teamkale

1 hour ago, BrandieNoel said:

... I am happy to share some good recipes!

*casually points over there*

Recipes, you say?

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

854505A4-D116-470A-8F74-C78A6F70CB76.jpeg

Texture is a little weird at first, but if you’re looking for a good low carb snack these are delicious.  They really taste like a loaded taco.  Mmmm tacos.

Steve IRL

I'm glad you found something that works.

About 5+ years ago, dont remember exactly, my blood pressure and cholesterol were getting pretty bad.  Not good for someone with a strong family history of strokes.

That's when I started intermittent fasting.  During weekdays, I wont eat after dinner and don't eat again till about noon the next day.  I drink black coffee and water and I'm not a stickler for tracking the exact number.  There are some days, like golf league nights, that I might have a few beers deep into the night so its not a strict thing.  But I don't ever eat till 11:30am at the earliest.  That usually gives me about 14 hours of fasting, some days a lot more, but you get the idea.  During my eating window, I pretty much eat and drink what I want.

Since then, my blood pressure and cholesterol have dropped a ton.  I take the lowest dose of meds and one fish oil pill, but my doc tells me that those wouldnt have turned me around so drastically.

I didnt lose any weight doing this, but my health screening numbers are excellent since I have been doing this.