Shadow and Bone

Interested?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Reaction to Shadow and Bone Teaser

• Yes, I'm into it!
    • Eh, it's OK
    • Not interested
    • I have lint in my belly button

Don't know much about this series, but this trailer doesn't really get me interested.  I'm a little bit on fantasy overload.

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Healthily sceptical.

Fantasy is not a passport to success. It will be a good series, when it's well made, told, produced, directed and acted. Regardless of magic and monsters.

Cheers for sharing.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Healthily sceptical.

Fantasy is not a passport to success. It will be a good series, when it's well made, told, produced, directed and acted. Regardless of magic and monsters.

Cheers for sharing.

A lot of the book friends I have were talking about it, but I had not heard of it before.  The trailer didn't do much for me, but I can understand the excitement when you read a book and later see it adapted.

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I wasn't a fan at all. I think the story was the best part even though it was unrealistic at times, but then... Didn't like the casting, the acting was poor in general (and a lot of people are saying how good it was, I can't see it),... The humor was a little bit young for my taste (but okay, it's an adaptation of a YA novel so I get it) and the romance... I don't think they could have found two people with less chemistry between them. Some of the dialogues were also just off. It was too obvious that they needed to give you some information so they put it in a dialogue but still, cover it up at least a little (Example: main character is sitting with a general. She starts explaining TO HIM the history of his family... I get that we need to have this information to follow the story, but maybe let her explain it to someone else?)

It started okay but went downhill with every episode imo

I'm planning to watch it from tomorrow. Just started watching Invincible and The Nevers, which has my interest for now. Not sure i have capacity for another series, but will surely try.

Invincible https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/

The Nevers https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8697870/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Cynical Optimist

On 4/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, Pasanda said:

I'm planning to watch it from tomorrow. Just started watching Invincible and The Nevers, which has my interest for now. Not sure i have capacity for another series, but will surely try.

Invincible https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/

The Nevers https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8697870/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Invincible comic was pretty damn good.  I've heard The Nevers is also well done.

How did you like Shadow and Bone?

Steve IRL

I'm on Episode 4. I've been hanging back until i have a few more under my belt before casting a view. But as you asked...

As it stands i'd give it a 6 - just. Every now and again, while watching, i can't help but imagine how that scene would have been so much better written in the book. Case in point was the last episode when they use someone's services to get them across the Fold by train. It should have been much more suspenseful and exciting than it was, and i could imagine that being a great sequence in a book. It was a bit rushed, which the film-makers seemed to want us to believe was exciting action - It was just rushed. Although i hate to say it; if you have to rush through aspects of the story, use a bit more exposition to built tensions with back-story and important detail. 

The source material seems sound, the story has merit and colour and plenty of potential lore around the cultures. But it doesn't seem to have been brought to the screen with any skill or love. That's the best way i can describe it. It's just comes across somewhat flat and lifeless. I don't know hardly any of the cast, but that's sometimes ok. I don't think the main character is well cast. She's not at all convincing in her role (and i don't even know what that should be - having never read it). I haven't paid any attention to who the crew or showrunners are, and that could be another reason - lack of experience.

I would be surprised if it gets a 2nd season. But i've been surprised before.

I'll try and watch it through. But if something better comes out, it may go to the back of the queue.

Cynical Optimist

13 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I'm on Episode 4. I've been hanging back until i have a few more under my belt before casting a view. But as you asked...

As it stands i'd give it a 6 - just. Every now and again, while watching, i can't help but imagine how that scene would have been so much better written in the book. Case in point was the last episode when they use someone's services to get them across the Fold by train. It should have been much more suspenseful and exciting than it was, and i could imagine that being a great sequence in a book. It was a bit rushed, which the film-makers seemed to want us to believe was exciting action - It was just rushed. Although i hate to say it; if you have to rush through aspects of the story, use a bit more exposition to built tensions with back-story and important detail. 

The source material seems sound, the story has merit and colour and plenty of potential lore around the cultures. But it doesn't seem to have been brought to the screen with any skill or love. That's the best way i can describe it. It's just comes across somewhat flat and lifeless. I don't know hardly any of the cast, but that's sometimes ok. I don't think the main character is well cast. She's not at all convincing in her role (and i don't even know what that should be - having never read it). I haven't paid any attention to who the crew or showrunners are, and that could be another reason - lack of experience.

I would be surprised if it gets a 2nd season. But i've been surprised before.

I'll try and watch it through. But if something better comes out, it may go to the back of the queue.

Yikes.  Not too good so far. 

Steve IRL

9 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Yikes.  Not too good so far. 

Well, to be fair, 6 is quite good for me. I'm a harsh marker. Best film ever made for me was 92%. You gotta keep a few back for better stuff later, or everything needs resetting and re-scoring :) 

It's not awful by any stretch. But given the genre, obvious investment and source material, i felt it could have been a fair bit better. 

Also, not finished yet.

Cynical Optimist

I have never heard of the books.  Watch the whole season and have to agree for the most part with Pas, it was a decent watch.  The writer that adapted the books for the show should be shot thou.  I give the cast a little more credit since most are unknowns.  I can imagine the books are much better.