Sign in to follow this  
Elovia

Horizon Zero Dawn

I just picked this up at GoG's Spring Sale ($29.99 + VAT) based on @Pasanda's praise of the game.  Now I have to download the 68+GB and dip my toes into those waters.

Thought I'd start a game-specific thread in case others also want to discuss this game, or if Pasanda feels compelled to provide non-spoiler advice for getting started and playing.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

On 4/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, Elovia said:

I just picked this up at GoG's Spring Sale ($29.99 + VAT) based on @Pasanda's praise of the game.  Now I have to download the 68+GB and dip my toes into those waters.

Thought I'd start a game-specific thread in case others also want to discuss this game, or if Pasanda feels compelled to provide non-spoiler advice for getting started and playing.

VAT?

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

8 hours ago, Lasraik said:

VAT?

Value Added Tax

When buying goods from within the US, you won't see VAT added to your balance.  It's applied when you buy goods from another country (GoG is based in Poland).  See the link for more info.

Edited by Elovia

Hi.  I'm Elovia, and I'm a Blaze addict.

Audience:  Hi, Elovia!

I love the stuff.  Especially on blast trip wires.  But blast trip wires use a lot of it.  A lot.  I need to know where to get it in large quantities.  I gotta get my fix.  I need my Blaze. 

Scrappers?  No problem.  One blast wire takes 'em down.  Oh sure, I could take them out the old fashioned way with precision placed, tear-enhanced arrows, but why risk it, ya know?  Too slow.

Shell-walkers?  One blast wire disarms them and removes their defenses.  Like shooting ducks in a barrel ... or is that fish?  Anyway ... they don't provide any of that sweet, sweet Blaze.

Daddy needs to grind out a full stack or two of Blaze canisters. 

Edited by Elovia

OK ... so I found a good place to stock up on Blaze for a reasonably small investment in time and arrow crafting materials.  I'm a frikkin' Grazer killing machine!  Or is that a Grazer machine killer?  /Bah!

I'm slowly getting comfortable confronting bigger, more aggressive, and more powerful machines.  I saw and bravely ran away from my first Thunderjaw, muttering, "please don't see me, please don't see me" as I sneaked past.

Wasn't paying attention one time as I was sneaking past a herd of Broadheads or Lancehorns (probably the latter), and got jumped by a Sawtooth.  I wildly flailed my spear, adrenaline-fueled dodge-rolling every chance I could, and by a stroke of luck was able to bring that agile machine down before my remaining sliver of health ran out.  /whew!  No rematch, please.

So yeah ... enjoyable game so far.  Hard to claim with any authority on how far along I am with it.  I've reached the Carja side of the DMZ valley between Nora and Carja territories, but I keep backing up and exploring previous areas that I seemingly passed over (or quickly passed through).  I've cleared four or five corruption zones, and an equal number of bandit camps.  Precisely placed head shots on bandits are a just a bit too satisfying ... almost as much as watching blast wire traps take down machines.  The game's animators did an excellent job overall, IMHO.

And for the record, Stalkers just plain outright suck.  Maybe I just haven't figured out the best way to see them so that I can then kill them.  Their stealth and one-shot kill ability is ... no words.   I've read similar hatred for the avian machines, Glinthawks and Stormbirds; I've seen these from a distance, but have yet to "encounter" them up close and personal.

Edited by Elovia

LOL. sorry for being out of touch. Been away etc.

IIRC, the stuff like blaze, that you need most develops as you and your arsenal do likewise, but yeah, blaze is always in demand. But i think most things have it.

I'd take a half hour out and just farm blaze whenever needed. And yeah, grazers/longhorns are easiest, and they usually graze near the long hidey grass.. Just whistle them across to you hiding in the long grass and you can get a whole herd done in 5 mins. Using that from stealth one-shot is easiest. Later on, you'll get a few spear upgrades that let you one-shot fairly high ranking mobs from stealth too. I think you can 1-shot or get close to 1-shotting Sawteeth/Sawtooths too. There's a corrupt thunder jaw that just needs running away from.

Glinthawks were doable, but just hard to track to shoot at. Especially when there are several in the air. Stormbirds are horrible. Thing to do is to get familiar with their damage type and use resist potions. Make a big difference in survivability. I think Glinthawks are cold damage.

Stalkers are similarly horrible. You get familiar with where they hang out, and the lit-traps they leave to give you away. I think i just got an eye for them and their shimmer.  I don't recall seeing my first one until i did a quest to track down some dude by some big rock, who it turned out did the dirty on his mates. But that was waaay through the game. Have you gone that far?

Sounds like you've made a lot of progress. I'm a little envious that you have it all to go through anew. 

Don't miss out on any of the quests. Do everything, and do the things that take you furthest last. You don't really out-level much, perhaps a little. But i never farmed any xp at all.

Really glad you're enjoying. It's always risky to recommend stuff to others.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

I probably have maybe less than a third of the map exposed.

And I ran into the same Stalker you did, same quest, too, but I stumbled onto it while still fairly lowish level.  In that encounter, I met two new machines in short order: my first encounter with a Longleg, and then the Stalker ... not to mention random Scrappers showing up during combat with the Longleg (where I was the chicken running around).  Good thing I had some help from the Quest-giving NPCs.  Anyway, to clear the Stalker, I just started laying a lot of random wire traps hither and yon.  Eventually the stalker crossed one, and ... bingo! there it is ...  but I was certainly uncomfortable exposing myself to a potential single shot death just to lure it out into the traps.  I like playing cat and mouse, just not playing as the mouse.  It's an interesting machine mechanic, for sure.

I found a bunker cave with some ancient tech armor locked away in a visible but inaccessible area.  I need to find some power cells to access it.  I have found one.  I can look online for spoilers, but that might take away some of the fun of exploring.

I also cleared my first cauldron (Sigma), so I can now override Sawtooths and other small machines.  In a related story, I rescued a couple of dudes "treed" by a pair of Sawtooths in an ancient building ruin.  I overrode one of them, and it promptly attacked the other, and then, after the first went down, I launched a fire arrow into the downed one's exposed abdominal blaze stash (normally a difficult target to hit) thus exploding and almost killing the victorious Sawtooth (by that time, it was no longer overidden).  A few more deftly placed arrows and that was the end of that.  I like how there are multiple paths to solving these types of problems.

Speaking of overriding, I'm not sure there is much value in using selected machines (e.g., Striders, Broadheads, etc.) as transportation.  The process and mechanics of riding seem cumbersome, and it is difficult to keep situational awareness because when you turn the camera to look around, the machine steers in the direction the camera points.  I have tons of materials (my inventory slots are bursting with them), and creating travel packs is easy enough that traveling to distant campfires seems better and faster than trying to steer a mechanical ... ahem ... steer to wherever it is you want to go.

In the same ruined city area as the two "treed" dudes, I also accessed my first Longneck, which was quite the thrill of a climb.  Again, I think the game's animators did a wonderful job overall.

Given the graphics, I was afraid my old potato of a computer would choke, but I have (almost) everything turned up to the max graphical settings and it does fine.  The fans on the video card and CPU run louder than normal, but they seem to be taking care of business as they should.  Kind of makes sense, I guess.  The game came out for Playstation about 5 years after I built my computer, and that was over ten years ago.

Edited by Elovia

Do you have the Frozen Wilds expansion? That adds a big part of the map to the NE passage. Not huge - i'd guess around 20%, but it's worth it. Plus it gives you a chance to use that armour you found, which isn't really available until near the end of the main game, and you're not permitted to wear for the main end-game play either. No point in going there earlier, as the first things you encounter are really tough at high level.

Talking of that ancient tech armour. Reading around it might lead you to believe it's practically invulnerable. Thankfully that's not true. But it does effectively add another health bar, which recharges fairly rapidly out of combat (you can kite-recharge, if not hit for 3-5 seconds). There is another suit, which seems uber, from a leader in the Frozen Wilds, but i didn't buy it or test it. I had to look up the location of the last power cell to get the armour, as i'd been everywhere, but not found it. Turns out i'd almost tripped over it and missed it, so I didn't feel too bad about searching the web.

I would not have liked to find that stalker on a low level. There's 2 places in Frozen Wilds where you come across 4-5 of them at once. Nasty!

There are several aspects of the game that i experienced, but never really pursued, due mostly to my play style. I preferred killing mobs myself, to using override - tired it half a dozen times, and it was fun, but that was it. I preferred running around instead of riding around, as i discovered more things, and preferred the pace. although i did use the campfire port a lot toward the end. Some things you have to override to progress the game, of course. such as the wonderful Longnecks. Agree, the animation and audio was excellent throughout, but no more so than with the Longnecks. Thankfully, there are others. Overriding them opens up the map of that area. I think that's the main point of them.

I never really used the teardown arrows. They do hardly any damage, and i was never desperate enough to gather the materials that dropped off, rather than just killing them ASAP.

If an when you do some of the trials, it teaches you to stun and farm things like blaze from the underbelly of some of the larger machines (the ones that look like 2 legged dinosaurs...). I didn't really buy into the trials either, as they didn't seem to move either me or the game forward. although the main hunting lodge chain of trials could have been interesting.

Good to hear it worked well on your abacus-GTX.

p.s. I just couldn't imagine facing some of the corrupted bosses at the end of Frozen Wilds without that Ancient armour. Even with it, i must had died a dozen times.

Cynical Optimist

Yes, the version I purchased on sale was the Complete edition which includes Frozen Wilds.  I understand that an expansion area may be in development, so you might have opportunity to revisit the game if you choose.

My favorite area for collecting tons of Blaze is the Nora Hunting Grounds.  There are nine or ten Grazers (I've never bothered to count) and each has four or more Blaze canisters on them.  My favorite tactic is to find two that are standing close to each other, and then shoot a fire arrow into each one's exposed Blaze canisters on their backs.  They will inevitably spook, and run back to and group up with the herd, and by that time both Grazers blow up, thus killing the herd.  The few who survive generally only have a sliver of health left and are easy clean up.  There's a convenient campfire across a stream where you can save, and then "reload last save" from the options menu to repopulate the Hunting Grounds.

I haven't done any of the hunting trials yet, although I have two quests in my journal to seek out the hunting trials.  I understand you can potentially earn gear from them, but also that the gear is soon eclipsed by "shadow" gear that you can purchase.  Shaaaaah-doh!  It just rolls off the tongue and sounds cool, especially to a stealth player.

As far as I can tell, the game doesn't shame the player by counting deaths.  That is a good thing, because I'd probably be up in the high double digits by now.  It took me a while to figure out what to do and where to go in that cauldron.  I'm a slow learner, I guess.  And the bad thing was, if you died in there up to a certain point, you had to run the whole thing over.  After a while, I got pretty good at the first half.

I'm using all weapons as situation warrants.  I haven't yet purchased a slingshot, though, so I'm not conversant on their tactical use.  Swapping out weapons is annoying, but I rarely ever need all five types at the same time (i.e., hunter bow, sharpshoot bow, war bow, ropecaster, tripcaster).  I usually have time to set up a plan of assault.  Either that or I die before I can react quick enough.  I discovered that even the tripcaster can be used as an active weapon - not just for setting tripwire traps - and you can use it as crowd control if you're getting rushed.  "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."  On the other hand, I don't swap outfits nearly as often as I probably should; I just use a stealth enhancing one for the most part.  It makes me feel more like a glass cannon that way.

I also use overrides primarily to even the odds of me surviving an encounter.  I cleared one corrupt area that had two Longlegs and a couple Scrappers by riding a Broadhead up to the edge of the encounter, disembarking and hiding, then calling over the scrappers into range where my Broadhead took out both Scrappers and most of a Longleg.  DAyum!  I just cleaned up the Longlegs by setting plenty of blast wire traps between me and them, calling them in, and running away while they ran through my trap gauntlet.  Or as previously mentioned, using one Sawtooth to take out another in close quarters.

Edited by Elovia

The hunting trials change up a gear when you get to the big city. There's a large busy hunting lodge with hunting-related quests and politics to resolve. The city is really quite large and fun to explore. I enjoyed the chanting in the sun-god circle, and could stand there for ages just to soak it up.

That blaze farming made me lol. Stupid animals. Like running into a crowd of yer mates with a lit bomb fuse.

Yeah, shadow gear see you through. I tended to go for the clothing that had the most modification slots on it. Some of the mods you get later on are superb, with over 40% modifiers to armour and damage. You eventually get a spear that you can put modifiers on to. One shot stealth attacks from the long grass were defo the way to go for me. The attack alone gives you a big dmg bonus. Longlegs are quite tough, with a nasty attack, but you can eventually 1-shot from stealth with a spear.

I'm too lazy a player to switch stuff around loads, although with HZD you just have to choose your 4 switchable weapons to suit the scenario. Fortunately, the game clock stops when you move to the weapon and armour screens. I did little with trip wires, unless nothing esle worked. I tended to use the traps quite a bit, as i could more easily lay out several in a line and try to funnel the really big mobs through to them. For trip wires, you need to scenery to affix them to. Catapults and slings were used when the landscape gave me a height advantage to exploit, or where they were gathered in groups, as the AOE could be very effective if you open with a few bombs. Once you get the uber bows, with big mods, that became the go to for 95% of all kills for me. I found myself also using the plan of assault approach entering complex battles by coordinating the steps ,a bit like a dance - open with these bombs, until it's too close, switch to the bow for explosive for a few, then switch to the standard damage bow and when really close, finish with the spear. although i must admit, for some of the really big ones, i found what could be called partial exploits that i was more than happy to employ - like getting beyond boss tether limits.

When you first get to the huge sandworm in the quarry (Dune rip off), if you struggle, i have a tip for you. It's fun.

If you like riding the machines, there's a skill you can get that gives you a powerful attack from-mounted. Never tried it though. 

Have you found the psychopath who loves clearing bandit camps yet? He is scarily fun. But they could have done more with him IMO.

Have you come across Lance Reddick as Sylens yet? I think you hear him long before you see him. It's a really good role played very enigmatically IMO. But he's not the most diverse of actors - just really good at playing himself, when the part demands it.

Cynical Optimist

12 hours ago, Pasanda said:

When you first get to the huge sandworm in the quarry (Dune rip off), if you struggle, i have a tip for you. It's fun.

If you like riding the machines, there's a skill you can get that gives you a powerful attack from-mounted. Never tried it though. 

Have you found the psychopath who loves clearing bandit camps yet? He is scarily fun. But they could have done more with him IMO.

Have you come across Lance Reddick as Sylens yet?

I have not been into the Carja lands much beyond the gates.  Out one gate, a massive Stormbird circles overhead picking off ground targets (sometimes there is a group of Carja hunters trying to make their way along the road beneath it).  Out the other gate, a pair of Sawtooths prowl with nowhere to hide or gain an unapproachable height advantage.  I may have to just pick a gate and run through the machines to their opposite tether range.  No telling what's on the other side ... like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Riding machines seems an awkward mechanic, and I do it as little as possible - only if a source machine is conveniently close when needed to provide distracting fodder.  So I probably won't invest much toward that skill.

I did run into that psychopath.  I've done nothing but chat with him, tho, so I haven't seen him in action.  I met him, and then when I was supposed to meet up with him again, I'd already unwittingly cleared the bandit camp on the other side of which he was camped out waiting for me.  I hope to run into him again, but time will tell.  I suspect I'm a bit psychopathic myself, because I enjoy head-shotting bandits as much as, if not more than, it sounds like he does.  We're just two peas in a pod, so to speak.

I'm horrible with names, so I looked up Sylens.  No, I have not met him yet.  Something to look forward to, I guess.  Also, as unsophisticated as I am, I am not familiar with Lance Riddick's body of work.  I looked him up, too.  Can't say I've ever seen any of his films or TV stuff.  I live under that rock over there ----->

Edited by Elovia

Riddick is prolific. If i had to recommend just one thing, it would be the Amazon detective series, Bosch. For being understated and a little bit different.

Cynical Optimist

Killed my first Stormbird the other night.  Elovia 1, Stormbirds 4 ... and believe it or not, I'm still humble.  There must have been an AI glitch to allow my success.  Toward the end, the big ol' bird just stood there ... uhh ... spread-eagled without attacking.  I was surprised I was able to knock it down a time or two just with pure damage arrows.  Their size makes judging their distance deceptive.

I also cheesed my first herd of Tramplers - from an untouchable location on high.  I'm not proud of it.  But it helped me get through a side quest ... or was that an errand? /sigh  I need to work on a better strategy if I ever need to go ground-level with these big arrow sponges.

And I ascended my second Longneck.  I was worried I might get attacked by the handful of Glinthawks in the area while ascending, and luckily that didn't turn out to be the case.  I fast traveled to a convenient campfire straightaway from the Longneck's head so as to avoid having to swim back through Snapmaw infested waters.

Pro tip:  I invested in the Tinker skill, which allows removing/recovering/replacing installed modifications; that and Disarm Traps have been QoL game changers.

Edited by Elovia

I was just thinking "I wonder how Elovia is getting with HZD", so i came to ask. I'd missed your post sorry.

I think i may have had the same Stormbird glitch as you. Was it high up in the mountains, looking for clues to a Moyduh? Running from cover to cover.

I told myself the Stormbird had realised my innate uberness and just committed suicide through inactivity.

Yeah that mod recovering ability is really handy. If nothing else, it allows you to experiment. 

Met Sylas yet?

How much of the map have you uncovered?

Have you got to the big City yet?

How is the game for you?

Cynical Optimist

My wife and I both enjoyed it (and she's not usually into FPS/open-world type games), and will likely get the sequel.

That said, I don't remember much about the game any more, other than using traps was a must versus some nasty foes. 

13 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I was just thinking "I wonder how Elovia is getting with HZD", so i came to ask. I'd missed your post sorry.

I think i may have had the same Stormbird glitch as you. Was it high up in the mountains, looking for clues to a Moyduh? Running from cover to cover.

I told myself the Stormbird had realised my innate uberness and just committed suicide through inactivity.

Yeah that mod recovering ability is really handy. If nothing else, it allows you to experiment. 

Met Sylas yet?

How much of the map have you uncovered?

Have you got to the big City yet?

How is the game for you?

I made a bunch of progress this past weekend.  Unabashedly, I spent a lot of hours on it.  For the record, I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

Nah, the Stormbird encounter I wrote upon earlier was just outside of a hunter camp in the desert ... just past the entry gates to the desert climate.  Although that said, I chanced upon the Stormbird you're hinting at while doing random exploring this past weekend.  I think there was a metal flower, a vista, or somesuch up in the area on which I was in pursuit.  That whole area reminded me:

1.  I greatly dislike scripted encounters, especially ones that thrust you into combat unprepared.
  2.  That was the first of many scripted encounters that I ran across last weekend.
  3.  Repeat number 1

So yeah, I cheesed most of the scripted encounters where and as I could ... mostly by utilizing no-kite mechanics to my favor (e.g., tether ranges, mobs retreat if they have no viable attack, etc.).  I was sufficiently pressed to get past the Watchers and triplet stalkers on the way to the scripted Stormbird encounter (unless I'm confusing two different areas).  Stalkers 1, Elovia 3, Falling Deaths on the climb up to the area ... 2.

I completed the quarry encounter you previously mentioned.  Was tough but ... well ... I cheesed it, too, after I figured it out.  Afterward I encountered a couple corrupted Rockbreakers out in the wild which provided a challenge.  That specific corrupted area encounter was helped by a wandering group of bandits (they got summarily slaughtered, but were useful as a distraction) and, coincidentally, a Longleg and Behemoth convoy that was traveling on a path through the corrupt area.  I didn't know corrupt machines would attack non-corrupt ones, but they did and in doing so helped knock off some life from the corrupt Rockbreakers while I stood back and enjoyed the show.  Was just me being slow in not connecting the dots ... I knew about corruption arrows from the War bow, and have used them to satisfyingly reduce the strength of a machine crowd, but I didn't think that mechanic applied to "naturally" corrupt machines.  Anyway, a nearby Ravager was also pulled into the fight, and upon its death, I was able to grab a big gun to finish off at least one of the Rockbreakers.

I put off going to Meridian for a long time, and instead bought the appropriate maps and spent a lot of time exploring and picking up collectables from areas I'd previously been through but had otherwise missed.  I have since been through the big city and completed at least one of the main quests there (i.e., assisting Avad with his situation), as well as a few side quests.

Without logging in to check, my character level is in the mid-30s.  I have almost all of the important skills that I use.  I just have one more skill in the Strike line (i.e., Leader Strike) I'd like to get to flesh it out, and then I'll work on the enhanced dodge skill which has been low on my priority list; I try not to put myself in that much danger where it would be helpful.  My modus operendi is primarily stealthy bow-centric with pre-laid tripwires as needed.  I have the full collection of stealth weapons (that I know of), all in various states of modification ... the more frequently used ones have my best mods attached.  I primarily use the (Stealth) Sharpshot and Hunter Bows along with the Tripcaster, while rotating between the War Bow, Ropecaster, and each of the two Slings in the fourth slot on a case-by-case basis.  I have, but have not yet used, the Rattlegun/crossbow/wtf-it-is.

I wear the Nora heavy stealth outfit with extra stealth mods; that combined with the Sharpshot bow and precision arrows allows me to kill or remove weapons from machines at extreme long ranges.  This has a side benefit that, as long as I'm patient and only fire a single salvo (up to three arrows per single bow firing, as needed) while the target is unaware, I can usually remain safely undetected.  However if I rush things, and fire off a salvo while the target is actively looking or is on alert, then I might get found out (unless the followup shot is fatal) ... to which I beat a hasty retreat and re-commence stalking when the target turns back from pursuit.

I ran across Nil again (the creepy, psychopathic, bandit killer) at least once more, although I suspect he generally waits outside bandit camps ready to join with an available quest marker (!), but then moves on and erases the potential quest after you've commenced slaughtering bandits without his help.  I noticed the marker was gone one time after I killed a few bandits and retreated to answer a RL phone call.

I have not met Sylas, but I've had him speak to me through my focus a couple times.  When I last played, I was currently doing the main quest up north, through the cultists and corrupted machine camp.  I expect big things there.  I didn't complete it before my playing time ran out, so I guess I'll get to redo the beginning part of the camp again.  No worries.  I don't mind slaughtering cultists or bandits.  Precisely placed head shots from extreme ranges, especially if the target is moving, are just so gosh darned satisfying.

I'm getting a lot more proficient killing the bigger, tougher machines.  I also completed at least one other cauldron so I can override more machine types.  I can now one-shot Scrappers and Watchers (well, the tougher armored ones), and take down Sawtooths with two salvos of fire arrows (same with Glinthawks and Ravagers provided I've removed their ranged weapons first).  I still struggle with Stormbirds, Behemoths, and Tramplers ... because they're massive and damage sponges.

Somewhere along the line I killed my first and only Thunderjaw ... although I admit I probably wouldn't have been able to do so without the help of a seemingly immortal Carja warrior that kept it distracted so I could methodically remove its weapon systems from a distance.

I've found interest in reading the little lore snippets and parallel stories from collectables and data points.  The Banuk toy story kind of hits in the feelz, as does the Vantage point story line at times.  The metal flower poetry is /meh, but I'm not much into poetry (except for occasional naughty limericks). 

I recall checking my progress sometime this past weekend.  The game thinks I'm a little over half done (somewhere between 50-60%).  I've overridden all of the mainland Tallnecks except for the southern most one, so I have ~80% of the non-Frozen Waste map exposed - nothing yet in the Frozen Waste.  I'm creeping up on almost 100 hours played (in theory) ... although I'm not sure I've actively played that long because sometimes I pause and read, but that time counts too.

I'm at the point where ... the game is still fun, in general, but it is starting to feel like a slog toward the end.  Rather than plow through scores of machines on my way from point A to point B, I now ask myself whether taking on combat on random machines is worthwhile or if I can bypass them for the interest of getting to my destination quicker while using fewer resources.  I usually get distracted by other games long before now, so this one has captured my interest for a respectable amount of time.  I'll most likely finish this game, which is an extremely rare thing for me to do with any game, and it speaks to the game's quality (at least to my subjective standards).  I'd probably rate this game a high 4.5+ out of 5, but not the full score because it isn't without flaws.  I've had it crash to desktop a couple times on me out of the blue.  Saving only at campfires (as opposed to QuickSave from anywhere) is also a down-score point ... sometimes I have to quit without saving due to RL issues I need to deal with, and in doing so lose progress and have to repeat it again to make up.

I haven't yet decided if I will spend much time playing NewGame+ on this one.

Oh, I meant to ask ... What did you decide to do about Olin?

Spoiler

I let him live, because I'm an old softy.  Shhhh ... don't tell anyone, or they'll call me a traitor, too.

10 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

My wife and I both enjoyed it (and she's not usually into FPS/open-world type games), and will likely get the sequel.

That said, I don't remember much about the game any more, other than using traps was a must versus some nasty foes. 

Generally, the only traps I use are the Tripwire ones.  I haven't yet found much use for the single, set-in-place traps.  You can set one or multiple tripwires from a distance, whereas you have to partially expose yourself and/or put yourself in harm's way to set the single traps.  That said, I just bought my second Shadow Sling - the one that allows launching the proximity bombs - but I have not yet played with it much.  I'm waiting until I find a nice, tight cluster of machines.  If it is anything like the Elemental bomb Sling, I suspect its range will be much too short for my taste.  Although I do like the idea of timed sticky bombs ... 🤔

Edited by Elovia

8 hours ago, Elovia said:

Oh, I meant to ask ... What did you decide to do about Olin?

Hide contents

I let him live, because I'm an old softy.  Shhhh ... don't tell anyone, or they'll call me a traitor, too.

Generally, the only traps I use are the Tripwire ones.  I haven't yet found much use for the single, set-in-place traps.  You can set one or multiple tripwires from a distance, whereas you have to partially expose yourself and/or put yourself in harm's way to set the single traps.  That said, I just bought my second Shadow Sling - the one that allows launching the proximity bombs - but I have not yet played with it much.  I'm waiting until I find a nice, tight cluster of machines.  If it is anything like the Elemental bomb Sling, I suspect its range will be much too short for my taste.  Although I do like the idea of timed sticky bombs ... 🤔

For right or wrong, i let Olin live. Although i do wonder what i might have done IRL. Seems he was forced into the decision, but to put the lives of his own family above the lives of all those other families who were destroyed was not balance.

I looked long and hard at the stealth suit, but decided on a different path and neve acquired it. I had no idea you could extract weapons from machines at all, only destroy them with arrows n stuff. That could be incredibly useful in later games.

I found the storyline one of the best reasons to play HZD. If you think it's getting to be a slog, consider playing the storyline. Don't forget you still have Frozen Wilds to go after the next half of the main story. There's still a lot of playtime in the storyline. Unofrtunately it also includes some very large scripted encounters.... 

With the quarry encounter, did you:

Spoiler

Use the hut at the edge of the quarry to wear it down? I didn't accept this as an exploit as it could still occasionally hit me, it was just too big to get behind the hut completely. I felt unrealistically pleased with myself for working this out and beating it, aaaaall by myself. :) 

You are definitely going all-in on this game, having more hours under your belt with half the game complete. I never play more than once through any game. I'm also not a completist, although i am an explorer. It's great to hear from someone who can get fun from the more esoteric aspects of the game. Colour me slightly envious.

Cynical Optimist

14 hours ago, Pasanda said:

With the quarry encounter, did you:

Reveal hidden contents

Use the hut at the edge of the quarry to wear it down? I didn't accept this as an exploit as it could still occasionally hit me, it was just too big to get behind the hut completely. I felt unrealistically pleased with myself for working this out and beating it, aaaaall by myself. :) 

I didn't no.

Spoiler

I made like a rabbit and ducked through a hole in the fence.  There was a boulder at the edge that I could stand on that, when crouched, protected me from the Rockbreaker's ranged attack, but also allowed me to shoot under the fence as targets of opportunity presented themselves.  Whenever the Rockbreaker would charge away, I'd put up an electric tripwire trap to stun it the next time it tried to reach me, which when stunned gave me a bit more time to destroy its feet so as to prevent it from going underground.  Total cheese.

The machines I'm certain from which you can extract heavy weapons that you can use afterward are the Ravager and the Thunderjaw.  There may be others of which I'm not aware ... Corruptors?  I haven't even seen one type of machine yet, so ... /shrug.  Of course you can also get heavy weapons by killing elite bandits that happen to carry them.  The downside is that the heavy weapons are, basically, disposable.  You cannot reload them, and they're very heavy so you move slowly while carrying them ... even if you have the skill that speeds up movement while carrying them (yes, it does, and no, not enough).  You also cannot jump, climb, or do a variety of other things while carrying them ... so, they're situational at best.

I think I enjoy this game because I can play it on my terms, scripted encounters aside, and I'm not locked into playing it the one and only way the developers envisioned.  Problem solving can be done many different ways, which is nice.  And the world is very open and accessible ... meaning I can go climb over a ridge if I'm willing to put in the effort rather than walk the path around it.  When you come across climb points, that usually indicates something worth finding may be at the other end of them ... and they're not always easy to see or do.  I've spent a lot of time just hunting critters for their crafting components.  I still need a few fish skins and bones - rats, too - to upgrade a few of my ammo pouches.  As I recall from my last play session, I had run myself out of ridge wood, so I'll need to scrounge up more of that soon.

Any updates. Gamers need to know. If you've kept up the same pace, i suspect you must be nearing the end of the first game, and possibly even forayed into Frozen Wilds? Uber armour acquired? 

Cynical Optimist

18 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Any updates. Gamers need to know. If you've kept up the same pace, i suspect you must be nearing the end of the first game, and possibly even forayed into Frozen Wilds? Uber armour acquired? 

Oh, sorry ... didn't intend to withhold.  I was out of town this past weekend, so I didn't make as much progress as I usually do.  But let's see where I last left off ...

Sylens had just showed up to redeem himself by rescuing me from a particular sunny, yet shadowy, conflict location; this confirmed my aforementioned assessment of his character.  I certainly didn't feel like I was in any sort of bind or in need of rescue, and as I faced the beginning of combat round two, I felt I had it well under control, but regardless, he charged in like the shining knight he was to my (scripted) damsel in distress.  I was severely disappointed; I coulda been a contender.  Afterward, I traveled to the entrance of the Nora sacred grounds, and I stopped for the day just as I reached the gate.

In sum, I've found four of the five power cells needed for the armor locked away in the ruin.  A little bird tells me the last one is in an upcoming main quest location.  I was there once before whilst randomly exploring (ok, not so random - I was "collecting" the vantage point in the area unknowing the main quest's ruin was also in the area), and the required access ladder was not present at the time.  Go me ... I've already taken care of the scripted boss combat encounter, so whenever I get back to that area, I should be able to waltz right in.  I'll then get the armor for use in the Frozen Wilds - or whatever comes after that main quest.

As I recall, I'm in the mid-40s character level.  I have all of the essential skills I wanted, and I am using any excess points to fill out the "override" skill line - even though I rarely use it.

The scripted Corrupted Thunderjaw you previously mentioned ended in ever-flowing, gooey cheese.  Yup ... I didn't even break a sweat on it.  Nor on the Rockbreaker encounter that preceded it.  As matter of fact, both encounters were handled pretty much in the same way ... or rather, the second one ended from the same place the first one began.

Spoiler

I killed the Rockbreaker from a high advantage point overlooking the canyon that it terrorized.  Once I plucked off it's digging feet with Tearblast Arrows, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

This was the same canyon as the encounter with the Thunderjaw ... the only difference being, I started the Thunderjaw encounter down on the canyon floor and at the end furthest away from the climb to the upper advantage point.  No worries!

I clipped off the Thunderjaw's radar with a triple shot of Tearblast Arrows so it couldn't detect me while I was undercover, and I then stealthily slipped past to climb up into position.  From then on, I systematically removed its major weapon systems, and burned it down with flame arrows without fear of retribution.

Oh right ... I should probably give an update on Nils the bandit-killing psychopath.  Despite his optimism and seemingly high health, he didn't make it.  He brought a knife to a gun fight, and that rarely ever ends well.  But good on him for trying ...

I've found all of the map "collectables" ... i.e., the vantage point time capsules, metal flowers, coffee cups, and Banuk figures.  As far as I know, I've also cleared all of the bandit camps and corruption zones ... not including any that may be in the Frozen Wilds.  I've scanned every known machine type.  And as far as I know, I've run out of side quests and errands except the hunting grounds (which I really don't intend to complete).  I've got me a golden backpack, so long-distance travel is effortless.  I still have tons of data points I have not found, nor do I think I'll put much effort into finding them.

I'm currently just marching through to complete the main quests and any side quests or errands that I may run across.

Edited by Elovia

I had to look up one of the power cells, as i'd completed all the areas i was supposed to and still hadn't seen it. Turns out i'd walked past it without realising (when you go there, you are distracted by other events). So looking it up was the right thing to do. I wonder if it might be the same last one. 

I'd have hated to do FW without that suit, but there is a similarly powerful one available from within FW. I suspect you can't do FW that effectively without the boost these armours deliver.

I had no idea Nils could be killed. I must be that good he never came close... 🤔

How on earth did you manager that Thunderjaw so easily. I found him the 2nd most challenging mob in the game. I think i never really got into the whole idea of stripping them down. Took me ages and exploits.

Rockbreaker was OK. I also took up refuge in a similar place i think.

Golden backpak? Is that a real thing? How did you get it and what does it do?

Did you do all the hunting lodge quests from the main city? Any good?

Cynical Optimist

11 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I had no idea Nils could be killed. I must be that good he never came close... 🤔

Yes, he can be killed ... or rather ...

Spoiler

After you've cleared all the bandit camps and then speak to Nils, he laments that all the fun is now gone and proposes new fun.  He asks you to meet him on top of one of the mesas outside of Meridian.  If you do, you then get to make a choice between dueling him to the death, or ... well, I just chose that one option.  At that point, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will die.  Aloy is the story's protagonist, after all, and her scripted response to the proposal was somewhat cocky; I'd say her remark was uncharacteristic of her, but sometime later she responded similarly in another encounter.  "You know this won't turn out well for you, right?" or some such ...

Nils is tough.  I gave him a triple bow shot to the face with my highest damage arrows (prepared in advance) to the tune of almost 1300 health points, and he still charged me with his spear.  He's also quick and nimble, and after a few missed shots while backing up, I landed a final arrow for the win.  No loot worth taking ... so don't feel bad if you missed the encounter.

How on earth did you manager that Thunderjaw so easily. I found him the 2nd most challenging mob in the game. I think i never really got into the whole idea of stripping them down. Took me ages and exploits.

My play style is a mix of stealth and cheese.  If I can't kill them outright from hiding and there's a good chance my hiding spot will get overrun, then I look for a unassailable place on high from which to safely rain down destruction.  Yeah, I'm a bit of a coward in that respect.  I haven't really practiced dodging or using my spear all that much, and my melee resistance is practically nothing.  Part of my strategy has been to disarm the machine-beasts whenever possible, especially their ranged weapons, to reduce their ability to shoot back.  Tearblast arrows ftw.  That said ...

Spoiler

The Thunderjaw at the conclusion of one of those Cauldron encounters was a very tough fight ... probably one of the toughest combats I'd been in because I was not able to hide or shoot much due to close quarters ... (Elovia 1, Thunderjaw 4).

That encounter entailed a lot of dodging with an occasional quick shot taken; something I'm not very good at.  Fortunately I was able to lay out almost my entire inventory of blast wire traps and a couple shock wire traps before letting it loose; that gave me a good start on depleting its health.  Eventually, one of my shots dislodged one of its disc shooters, and I was able to pick that up after a few attempts and shoot the Thunderjaw's body for major damage.

Golden backpack? Is that a real thing? How did you get it and what does it do?

Yes, it's a real thing.  I bought it from a vendor.  Daytower, I think, although others likely have it as well.  You can find it in the Resources section of the merchant's inventory.  It allows you to fast travel as much as you want without using any resources (i.e., an infinitely reusable travel pack).  That reminds me ... I still need to go back and activate a few more campfires that show on my map but to which I have not yet been.

Did you do all the hunting lodge quests from the main city? Any good?

No.  I haven't done any of them, and probably won't.  They don't appeal to me and are not required.

Edited by Elovia

On 5/19/2021 at 12:45 AM, Elovia said:

Yes, he can be killed ... or rather ...

Reveal hidden contents

My play style is a mix of stealth and cheese.  If I can't kill them outright from hiding and there's a good chance my hiding spot will get overrun, then I look for a unassailable place on high from which to safely rain down destruction.  Yeah, I'm a bit of a coward in that respect.  I haven't really practiced dodging or using my spear all that much, and my melee resistance is practically nothing.  Part of my strategy has been to disarm the machine-beasts whenever possible, especially their ranged weapons, to reduce their ability to shoot back.  Tearblast arrows ftw.  That said ...

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, it's a real thing.  I bought it from a vendor.  Daytower, I think, although others likely have it as well.  You can find it in the Resources section of the merchant's inventory.  It allows you to fast travel as much as you want without using any resources (i.e., an infinitely reusable travel pack).  That reminds me ... I still need to go back and activate a few more campfires that show on my map but to which I have not yet been.

No.  I haven't done any of them, and probably won't.  They don't appeal to me and are not required.

Ahhh. I thought the backpack might have increased carrying capacity. Resources for Campsite travel were very trivial. It would have need to be really cheap to be worthwhile. I suppose it saved having to craft them as well tho.

Cynical Optimist