Sign in to follow this  
Elovia

Horizon Zero Dawn

Such disappoint ...

I completed the main quest without setting foot in the Frozen Wilds.  Game over, man, game over!  My bad.  I thought I was supposed to finish the main quest, and then Frozen Wilds would introduce a new crisis like any good DLC should.  But in hindsight, I guess the Frozen Wilds was just a side quest, and I was supposed to solve whatever problems are confined to the frozen north during the normal course of play.  And yes, I finally retrieved the super suit just in time for the end.

Fortunately I created a manual save before the point of no return. 

Muah hah hah ah ... *music swellsI have returned! ...*pauses dramatically* ... from the point ... *looks menacingly left and then right* ... of no return ... *music ends off key in a screech* <audience hisses, boos, and throws fruit>

IDK whether I'll play through the final quest sequences again, but I'll spend time roaming around the Frozen Wilds for a bit and see what that's all about.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

I don't get what you mean? That's what i did. Finished the main quest before FW. Most people who finished the main quest line did so before FW was released, so i guess that's how it was intended. 

Also, i did go and try the main quest ending with THAT suit and the game forbid it. 

I hope you enjoy TFW. 

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

Well ... maybe it was my impatience then.  After the scripted feel-good epilogue, the game started rolling developer credits; I didn't watch the whole thing, so I guess I don't know whether the game continues after the credits are done.

Also, as alluded to above, I wore the super suit during the final showdown.  Handy, it was.

Edited by Elovia

Oh. My memory is failing. I distinctly recall a message saying if i continue with the end-game, it would strip my uber suit off. 

Started TFW yet. I recall some nasty mobs near the start and am interested in knowing how much they hurt you (also known as - finding out how crap i am).

Cynical Optimist

I haven't played since last weekend, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy ...

The first FW specific machine I encountered was on the path in ... a demonic scorcher, I think.  I scanned it from a distance.  The scan said it was tougher (i.e., more dangerous) than regular machines.  And so, the coward tactician that I am, I immediately sought inaccessible higher ground (oxymoron that).  So in short, having successfully risen above the fray (so to speak), I safely albeit slowly dispatched the machine by emptying my arsenal in its direction.  Yes, it was tough.  Death by a thousand bee stings.

Most of the other machines I've run into in FW have been either regular or demonic versions of previously encountered machines.  Previous tactics worked, but demonic machine versions required more ammo.

During one quest, I encountered a tower with a demonic scorcher (I take it the machine is supposed to be bear-like with climbing/jumping abilities?), and the inability to combat them without getting down on level.  A shadow tripcaster upgraded with three, high-damage, purple mods and capable of over 500 blast damage per wire ... was my friend.  I stacked quite a few blast wires ... probably far more than necessary but enough to assure destruction ... and then popped a triple-load tearblast arrow barrage in the scorcher to get its attention.  Well, the shortest distance between A and B was a straight line through the blast wires (it being A, and me being B, and the blast wires being ... you get the picture).  Afterward, just I overrode the tower and proceeded like I owned the joint.

Truth be told ... Elovia 1, Scorcher+Environment 1 ... the Scorcher used a ranged attack to knock me off of a high perch and down into a deep ravine.

[correctional edit:  the second Scorcher encountered was actually a Frostclaw, not a Scorcher as erroneously recollected]

Edited by Elovia

3 hours ago, Elovia said:

I haven't played since last weekend, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy ...

The first FW specific machine I encountered was on the path in ... a demonic scorcher, I think.  I scanned it from a distance.  The scan said it was tougher (i.e., more dangerous) than regular machines.  And so, the coward tactician that I am, I immediately sought inaccessible higher ground (oxymoron that).  So in short, having successfully risen above the fray (so to speak), I safely albeit slowly dispatched the machine by emptying my arsenal in its direction.  Yes, it was tough.  Death by a thousand bee stings.

Most of the other machines I've run into in FW have been either regular or demonic versions of previously encountered machines.  Previous tactics worked, but demonic machine versions required more ammo.

During one quest, I encountered a tower with a demonic scorcher (I take it the machine is supposed to be bear-like with climbing/jumping abilities?), and the inability to combat them without getting down on level.  A shadow tripcaster upgraded with three, high-damage, purple mods and capable of over 500 blast damage per wire ... was my friend.  I stacked quite a few blast wires ... probably far more than necessary but enough to assure destruction ... and then popped a triple-load tearblast arrow barrage in the scorcher to get its attention.  Well, the shortest distance between A and B was a straight line through the blast wires (it being A, and me being B, and the blast wires being ... you get the picture).  Afterward, just I overrode the tower and proceeded like I owned the joint.

Truth be told ... Elovia 1, Scorcher+Environment 1 ... the Scorcher used a ranged attack to knock me off of a high perch and down into a deep ravine.

Well written. Very entertaining.

On reflection, i think i might have started FW before i did the main plot end-game. Not sure if that might have had an impact on suit wearability.

Yeah it was the Demonic Scorcher who gave me a really hard time. It was about this time that i began to realise the importance of resistances. Yes, most of the way through the game. I just took him head on, and it took several attempts and kiting that suit. There are tougher mobs later that i don't think you get a chance to hide from. So get yer battle tactics (as opposed to run and hide tactics) sorted now. Of course, kite and recharge is perfectly manly.

Cynical Optimist

I appear to have completed the Frozen Wilds (FW), with exception of not finding a few scattered data points or doing the hunting grounds quests - not important enough to trigger my completion tendencies.

I realize now that previous messages indicate my poor memory.  The encounters in FW that I had the most difficulty with were those with multiple Frostclaws or multiple Fireclaws when they included multiple Demonic Scrappers or other Demonic machines (including the aforementioned Demonic Scorchers).  Most of the non-scripted Fireclaw encounters were relatively effortless provided unassailable heights beyond the machine's ranged attacks were available in the combat vicinity (i.e., almost every one of them).  A highly modded Improved Icerail thus became a sniper weapon with freezing bullets doing well over 500 damage per pop.  That was, of course, not the case (or an available option) during my first encounter with a Fireclaw.  Incidentally, it took me quite a few hours spanning several days to complete the cauldron portion of the quest in which that first Fireclaw was encountered.

There was one side quest (or errand?) to track down a falsely accused Banuk that proved to be somewhat difficult.  Fortunately, after an initial death, I learned to deploy a modest arsenal of traps around the periphery prior to engaging the scripted combat intro scene which cut down the first wave of attackers, thus leaving me to deal with the pair of more difficult attackers from a stronger position.  I found it kind of humorous that the scripted visuals included the traps I'd placed exploding in the background as the first wave of attackers phased in.  The intended dramatic scene was thus robbed of its harrowing effect.  The ambushers became the ambushees.  Immortality (and hindsight) is grand that way.

So now ... after completing the Frozen Wilds, and previously completing the Main Quest, I'm sure I can comfortably set this one aside as sufficiently complete even though the game files may indicate otherwise.  I don't really want to, or feel compelled to, go back through the series of Main Quest scripted events again just to do it all over again in the proper sequence.  My character level is in the high 50s, and I have almost every skill except one or two that are inconsequential to my play style (i.e., mount repair+ and dismount strike).  My mod inventory is completely full of purple mods that, towards the end, were weeded out of any single stat boosting ones in favor of multiple stat boosters.  I did not do any loot box gambling (no need) and finished with well over 50k metal scraps (plus a full resource inventory that could be sold off for a few thousand more).  I have every (known) purple outfit and weapon at my disposal.

*looks around*  So what's next?

Edited by Elovia

I need time to provide a proper response, and I don't have much lately.  Fortunately I was able to complete it as far as I was able prior to having to set it aside, knowing the busy season would be upon me soon enough (and it is now here).  As of the end of the Frozen Wilds, the game stat screen says I played 162+ hours.  So I must have enjoyed it well enough to get that far.  I'll draft more comments later ...