Our book of the month is NOS4A2, the live stream is May 23rd at 12p PST, 1p MST, 2p CST & 3 EST.  Please RSVP here if you will be attending

The Faithful and the Fallen read along starts this month!  More info here

Check the Community Calendar for all scheduled meet ups

Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Nocturne: A Collection of Dark Tales

Picked this one up recently on a whim after seeing a Twitter thread promoting independent authors.

I just finished Sylas Sterling and the Lucas County Curse, and saw this book sitting on the shelf.  It's only 107 pages so I figured I'd read it before I start Neuromancer.  I'm glad I did, I loved these. 

After having some bad luck with horror books recently this was a breath of fresh air.  So well done and enjoyable.  I'll be writing a full review and video review but if you enjoy short stories and/or horror check this one out.

Spoiler alert: this will be my second 5 star book of the year.

Steve IRL

Reading: Poppy War

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Don't come at me. I didn't like Nocturne. There were some stories that were good, but most were not in my opinion. I mainly had an issue with the writing. H.B. Diaz is obviously a talented writer, but there were too many analogs and metaphors for my taste. I felt is pull me out of the story, and with short stories that can really ruin the experience. I think I might re-read this book though. (I know you are thinking, "why, you just said you didn't like it") Well, I think if I read one story at a time I might enjoy some stories more. It's possible my frustration from the previous story might have biased my feelings in the current one. Until then, I gave this book 2 stars. Sorry to those that loved it.

3 minutes ago, Stacyejaye said:

Don't come at me. I didn't like Nocturne. There were some stories that were good, but most were not in my opinion. I mainly had an issue with the writing. H.B. Diaz is obviously a talented writer, but there were too many analogs and metaphors for my taste. I felt is pull me out of the story, and with short stories that can really ruin the experience. I think I might re-read this book though. (I know you are thinking, "why, you just said you didn't like it") Well, I think if I read one story at a time I might enjoy some stories more. It's possible my frustration from the previous story might have biased my feelings in the current one. Until then, I gave this book 2 stars. Sorry to those that loved it.

It's funny, the metaphors is one of my favorite parts of the book.  Thanks for giving it a go, I guess we can still be friends. 😆

Steve IRL

Reading: Poppy War

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero