Our book of the month is NOS4A2, the live stream is May 23rd at 12p PST, 1p MST, 2p CST & 3 EST.  Please RSVP here if you will be attending

The Faithful and the Fallen read along starts this month!  More info here

Check the Community Calendar for all scheduled meet ups

Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Panel of Book Reviewers?

I agreed to read and review Crackle and Fire about a month ago, and posted the review on Goodreads a few weeks ago.  I received this email:

Hi

I'm writing to you because back in March you kindly agreed to review a book (Crackle and Fire ) on behalf of Henry Roi PR.  I help to administer Blackthorn Book Tours (part of Henry Roi PR), and we're looking to expand our pool of book tour reviewers.  I thought you might be interested in joining us.

We can’t offer payment but we can offer the pick of the books that we are promoting, and a guarantee that your reviews (and your blog, goodreads or bookstagram page) will be seen by the author and  a lot of readers on social media.  No obligation to take on any book unless it appeals to you but we’ll send you details of relevant books as they come through. If you’re interested, do please check out our web page here.

Have any of you joined a panel like this before? 

Steve IRL

Reading: Poppy War

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Don't know much about these but it seems as though you would be required or at least heavily encouraged to read what they want you to read instead of reading what you love and doing your own reviews.  What is the benefit of joining a panel like this anyway?

Currently reading

Gardens of the Moon, Book of the Fallen #1

Gosh that is great. Not being an avid reader, i've no experience with this. I'd call it a minor privilege and jump at it. you put a lot of effort and time into this Las, and I think this is what you get for it. Well done.

Closest i got was being asked to review a few games by an online magazine back in the day.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

20 hours ago, Nick said:

Don't know much about these but it seems as though you would be required or at least heavily encouraged to read what they want you to read instead of reading what you love and doing your own reviews.  What is the benefit of joining a panel like this anyway?

I think people on the panel get early access to certain books ahead of time 

17 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Gosh that is great. Not being an avid reader, i've no experience with this. I'd call it a minor privilege and jump at it. you put a lot of effort and time into this Las, and I think this is what you get for it. Well done.

Closest i got was being asked to review a few games by an online magazine back in the day.

Which magazine?  

13 hours ago, BrandieNoel said:

Looks fun!

I think I might try it.  There’s so many books I want to read on my own but it might be fun from time to time to get an early look

Steve IRL

Reading: Poppy War

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

32 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I think people on the panel get early access to certain books ahead of time 

Which magazine?  

I think I might try it.  There’s so many books I want to read on my own but it might be fun from time to time to get an early look

Well 2. I was staff writer at IGN for a few years. I covered Age of Conan and Pirates of the Burning Sea, with a regular weekly column, based around a made-up game character.

Then I was approached by MMORG.com to write a preview and given early access to Jumpgate Evolution. It never got released, due to funding being pulled a few years into development. But it had some neat ideas, such as following proper physics. Flying was a little like flying Vipers in BSG reboot. I just checked and the article is still there!!!! https://www.mmorpg.com/previews/first-look-preview-2000116780

Check out the props at the end of the article to Elovia and Wolphard who proof read for me. 12 years ago!!! Gosh i'm old.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist