Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Time Travel or Teleportation?

Would you rather have:  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Time Travel or Teleportation?

• Time Travel
    • Teleportation
    • I Have Lint In My Belly Button (show results)

If you could choose between having the ability to teleport or time travel?

On one hand it would be nice to teleport anywhere, but with time travel you could fix anything you wanted.  However, it also depends on the type of time travel.  If you'd be creating a parallel universe or time stream each time you travel through time things could get messy really fast.

Also, I asked this question of someone yesterday and they said they would chose teleportation because if they could travel through time and fix all of their mistakes, they wouldn't be the person they are today.  I thought that was insightful.

What say you?

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Teleportation, provided it's safe and proven.  Too much risk for inadvertently screwing something up with time travel ... like finding out that you no longer exist.  That would be bad.

Edited by Elovia

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

17 minutes ago, Elovia said:

Teleportation, provided it's safe and proven.  Too much risk for inadvertently screwing something up with time travel ... like finding out that you no longer exist.  That would be bad.

But if you didn't exist could you just go back to the point before you died and change it?

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

But if you didn't exist could you just go back to the point before you died and change it?

That's the problem with the word "inadvertent"; you may not know what you did to cause the condition, so you don't have any idea on how to fix it.  Kind of like the chaos theory of a butterfly flapping it's wings in Brazil to cause a hurricane in Florida.  What if the thing you inadvertently changed leads to no time travel AND you don't exist?  That's almost like time traveling back to dinosaur days and running out of gasoline ...

f02fe56777184c4a4c0a35dca07fa051.jpg.5e38c7ef7419b8def90746df3e960ed6.jpg

Edited by Elovia

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

Easy ... time travel.

Go ahead a year.  Print out lottery results, sports scores results, stock performance, go back to current.  Make a fortune, quit work, and travel and do whatever I wanted.

Then again, I like the idea of going far enough ahead to pick up a teleport machine which would make travel a lot easier.

Just got back from the Doctor.  Routine health check, all is good.  Got me thinking.

I could go ahead to the future and pick up something that should help me have a better quality of life.

I could also travel back to the past and see nature in her full glory ... before we cleared all the forests and wiped out all the animals.  Watch the Gettysburg address.  Sit on the grassy knoll in Dallas in Nov 1963.  Hang out at Kitty Hawk in 03.  Roswell 47.  Possibilities are endless.  And the best thing ... I could record everything with my new Samsung Galaxy 50.