Sign in to follow this  
Pasanda

What do you collect?

As the title says, many people decide to start and maintain collections of "things". What do you put your time and or money into, and more importantly why?

Ignore MTG and other boards games, movies and other media, unless it's a very specific and painfully geeky sub-culture, that would sicken us to hear about... Then we wanna know :) 

I don't collect anything really. I used to collect antiques as an investment for my Son, but that stopped about 10 years ago, when he was born. I accumulate technology, but that's not collecting either.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

If we're not including painfully geeky subculture (MTG, books, audio equipment, ect.)

I have a weird affinity for backpacks and messenger bags.  When I traveled a lot and even when I would bike commute I started buying different types of bags and it became a bit of an addiction.

Steve IRL

Reading: The Dragon Republic, The Virus and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

@Lasraik You have a pretty impressive collection of cigars 😜

I have a thing for essential oils... Doterra specifically. I don't even think they cure as many things as they claim to but I love the way the smell and are pretty comforting to have around. My collection is massive. 😳

We also collect pint glasses from breweries we have visited. And shot glasses from places that we have traveled.

We also have a little collection of  tin signs. And then for some reason we collect beer bottle caps lol

IMG-0121.jpg

IMG-0122.jpg

Brandie

#teamkale

21 minutes ago, Stacyejaye said:

@BrandieNoel That beware sign is hilarious! 

I collect hobbies 😂 I read, crochet, put together jigsaw puzzles, make YouTube videos...you know I just realized that most of my hobbies are solitary. Maybe I collect "me time". 😂🤣

Oooh I crochet too! I think we were meant to be friends!

Brandie

#teamkale

2 hours ago, Jolien Reads said:

If books and boardgames don't count, I don't really collect anything... I'd like to collect doggies but my husband is not on board. 😛

I get the doggie thing! We have 5! And most of them are my fault. But @Lasraik is no help in that department either. He is NOT allowed to visit anymore shelters. I think we are at our limit lol

Brandie

#teamkale

We only have the one pooch, but just found out today that we are on the list for a Tibetan Terrier in 12 weeks time. Mum gives birth to the pups in 3 weeks. 

Cynical Optimist

18 hours ago, BrandieNoel said:

I get the doggie thing! We have 5! And most of them are my fault. But @Lasraik is no help in that department either. He is NOT allowed to visit anymore shelters. I think we are at our limit lol

Can't tell me you would tell these guys no...

20191120_131803.jpg20191120_160444.jpg20191120_140853.jpg20191120_143233.jpg

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

15 hours ago, Pasanda said:

We only have the one pooch, but just found out today that we are on the list for a Tibetan Terrier in 12 weeks time. Mum gives birth to the pups in 3 weeks. 

I'll just leave this here ...

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit

On 5/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, Elovia said:

Thanks. Ours is a bit of a barker. It's a mixed blessing, in that anyone at the door gets an earful. But it also means that any overnight prowlers get the same (not had any yet tho). We're going to try to train her our of postman barking offenses before the TT arrives.

Just FYI, dogs in the UK are ridiculously expensivesince lockdown. You can pay £4-5k for our current dog, which is 4 times what we paid for her 2.5 years ago. The TT comes from ethical breeders, who charge reasonable rates akin to Winnie.

Cynical Optimist

Wow wonder why they are so expensive.  Sadly I read recently that shelters are getting overwhelmed by people bringing back their quarantine pets now that they are getting back to work

Steve IRL

Luckily in Belgium, the 'good' breeders don't overcharge, prices are somewhat the same as before (1000-1500 euros for a puppy), but the puppymills are increasing their price to absurd amounts. At this point you're paying more for a dog like that compared to one with a pedigree. Unfortunately the good breeders have insane waiting lists (waiting 2+year for a puppy for most breeds) I don't care about the pedigree that much to be honest, but here you either choose one with a pedigree, or you get one from a puppymill. Almost no in between... (Or ofcourse shelter, but I've never seen pups there and with the dogs we currently have, I don't want to risk bringing an adult dog in the mix. My dogs can be assholes around adult dogs they don't know...)

On 5/15/2021 at 3:43 AM, Lasraik said:

Wow wonder why they are so expensive.  Sadly I read recently that shelters are getting overwhelmed by people bringing back their quarantine pets now that they are getting back to work

My old-age cynicism tells me that people will charge the most money they can, as long as people are buying. It's not always true (see ethical breeder comment above), but it makes me extraordinarily happy when they do not. Also, it keeps my cynically optimistic (see Sig).

Cynical Optimist

6 hours ago, Pasanda said:

My old-age cynicism tells me that people will charge the most money they can, as long as people are buying. It's not always true (see ethical breeder comment above), but it makes me extraordinarily happy when they do not. Also, it keeps my cynically optimistic (see Sig).

You're probably right

Steve IRL