Question

My question is about Celestial Convergence:

5.jpg

It reads: "If there are no omen counters on Celestial Convergence, the player with the highest life total wins the game."

When exactly does this check happen?  If I remove the counters with a card like Vampire Hexmage, does the player with the highest life total automatically win the game?  Usually cards that have these effects read "at the beginning of your upkeep, if there are no counters on..." but this one doesn't.

Steve IRL

Reading: Tower Lord and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

8 answers to this question

Answer: It checks upon resolution of the upkeep trigger.

1. Remove a counter, even if one is not on the card

2. Does the enchantment have a counter? If no, highest life total wins.

Hexmage speeds up the clock, dramatically, but the win condition doesn't automatically happen when all counters come off. The trigger that checks for no counters is pretty specific to the upkeep. 

Now, this card is specifically different than Divine Intervention, especially if you read the oracle text. 

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove an intervention counter from Divine Intervention.
When you remove the last intervention counter from Divine Intervention, the game is a draw.

Divine Intervention

Divine Intervention - When you remove the last counter... (can be by any means)
Celestial Convegence - IF there are no counters, after a specific trigger goes on the stack.

--

You can respond to the trigger during your upkeep, of course. Say the enchantment has 4 counters on it and the trigger goes on the stack. Use Hexmage to remove all counters...when trigger resolves, POOF

Hope that helps. 

it's just like them ordeal of heliod type of cards where they check to see if there's anycounters on it then it gives u 10 life or which ever ordeal type cards, you have this card even if you already removed the counter last time it was your turn u still reolve the card's abiity with no counter on it, you'd still win the game before combat phase.providing your life total is still higher than the other player. now im thinking one of the good idea to have with this card is to have bioshift in the deck where it can remove a counter or so to another creature and u wont have to wait 7 or which ever it is turns to resolve the card. but thats just my opinion of how i would do it. its a great card regardless!

12 hours ago, Richyandrew said:

it's just like them ordeal of heliod type of cards where they check to see if there's anycounters on it then it gives u 10 life or which ever ordeal type cards, you have this card even if you already removed the counter last time it was your turn u still reolve the card's abiity with no counter on it, you'd still win the game before combat phase.providing your life total is still higher than the other player. now im thinking one of the good idea to have with this card is to have bioshift in the deck where it can remove a counter or so to another creature and u wont have to wait 7 or which ever it is turns to resolve the card. but thats just my opinion of how i would do it. its a great card regardless!

The Ordeal cycle is actually a bit specific and a bit different. Yes, the trigger happens as you mention, but... 

They do say "When you sacrifice Ordeal of x". Thus, you can sacrifice them by other means (Auratog) and get the benefit :)

19 minutes ago, Robert Perez said:

What if you where to use Mirage Mirror to copy it?

mirage-mirror-60878-medium.jpg

Would the Mirage Mirror end the game immediately since it has no counters on it?

That’s an interesting question, since it doesn’t enter the battlefield would it become a copy with as many counter as Celestial Convergence has that you copy?

Steve IRL

Reading: Tower Lord and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

30 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

That’s an interesting question, since it doesn’t enter the battlefield would it become a copy with as many counter as Celestial Convergence has that you copy?

Mirage Mirror wouldn't be able to copy the counters since it enters the field as itself. That much I know. It's rest I'm wondering about.