Lasraik

What was your first job?

When I was 16 I scored a job after school on weekdays vacuuming offices and hallways in a three story building for a few hours each night.  I wore a portable cassette player and would make custom tapes to listen to as I vacuumed, since it was after hours no one was around other than three older women and myself.  I vacuumed, the others had jobs like cleaning specific areas and windows etc.

I learned quite a bit from that experience, mainly that I never wanted to be the guy vacuuming offices forever.  

Steve IRL

Reading: Tower Lord and This Burning World

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Before leaving school I was had a newspaper round and spent a year as a plasterers mate. At 16, my first full time job was at a warehouse driving fork trucks and stacking shelves. 

It didn't go so well in my make-up wearing New Romantic image. 

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

1 hour ago, Jolien Reads said:

I worked as a waiter in a restaurant in the weekends and as a cashier/someone who makes your lunch pack at the local supermarket when I was 16. Loved the work at the supermarket. I often think I should go and do that full time. 😂

I've often thought it looked very therapeutic and relatively stress free. 

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

8 hours ago, Pasanda said:

This... 

image.png

I dare you to construct a parody photo Steve. 

Ain't nobody wanna see that.

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I've often thought it looked very therapeutic and relatively stress free. 

Until it's time to do get stuff like attaining food and shelter

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

As a teenager I was living in a tiny town (population < 200). Without a car, options were very limited. So my first job was making sandwiches in our deli/gas station/video rental/grocery store. Then I moved to the big city and my first job there was cashier at a grocery store chain. 

My first job when I was 15 was at the county parks and recreation as a summer program counselor(babysitter). My uncle ran the parks and rec division for our county so he hired me. For the rest of high school I taught private flute lessons to middle schoolers and worked at Montgomery Wards. Remember that department store?! A lot of my friends worked there too. I had some good times there. 😀

Brandie

Currently Reading:

River of Theives

Bromance Book Club

My first job was when I was 14 and it lasted 2 weeks 😅 It was at a vet's office because I was part of an agriculture program in school and we had to work at an animal or plant related job  and journal about it. I wound up switching to an animal shelter because I couldn't handle when the vet had to put down a dog. I was an emotional mess. So working at the no kill shelter was definitely a better spot for me and I worked there until I graduated high school. Loved that experience so much despite the messy days. 

2 hours ago, Ercy- Circe's Booked said:

My first job was when I was 14 and it lasted 2 weeks 😅 It was at a vet's office because I was part of an agriculture program in school and we had to work at an animal or plant related job  and journal about it. I wound up switching to an animal shelter because I couldn't handle when the vet had to put down a dog. I was an emotional mess. So working at the no kill shelter was definitely a better spot for me and I worked there until I graduated high school. Loved that experience so much despite the messy days. 

Oh that would be really difficult, I wouldn’t be able to handle that either

Steve IRL

Milking cows on a dairy farm.  I will forever hate cows and all things farming.  Betty was a bitch.  I hope they made glue and hamburger out of her.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Milking cows on a dairy farm.  I will forever hate cows and all things farming.  Betty was a bitch.  I hope they made glue and hamburger out of her.

You don't mean that..

cow GIF

Steve IRL

Like a sex worker, she lookin' pretty fly, until you gotta milk out the mastitis.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jag said:

Like a sex worker, she lookin' pretty fly, until you gotta milk out the mastitis.

😆 you've been missed, Jag

34 minutes ago, Kayla Lenzen said:

My first job was a dietary aide at a nursing home. I used to sneak all the old peeps desserts😂

Working in nursing homes looks like a tough gig.  Not only because you get attached to them but also I hear a lot of the older folks get handsy and abuse the staff.

Steve IRL

I worked there for three years and you get used to hearing about the residents passing away. I’m a sensitive person and grew attached to a lot of them.

The nurses are usually ones who deal with handsy and abusive residents. My mom has crazy stories with patients she’s had through the years.

If anything I learned how to comfort and be there for them. I’ve sat with some near the end and used to visit on my off days.

Not the happiest place to work (especially holidays) but overall I have very fond and treasured memories of that place.

1 hour ago, Kayla Lenzen said:

I worked there for three years and you get used to hearing about the residents passing away. I’m a sensitive person and grew attached to a lot of them.

The nurses are usually ones who deal with handsy and abusive residents. My mom has crazy stories with patients she’s had through the years.

If anything I learned how to comfort and be there for them. I’ve sat with some near the end and used to visit on my off days.

Not the happiest place to work (especially holidays) but overall I have very fond and treasured memories of that place.

My wife is a nurse at a home, and it always has its challenges.  Staffing has been a big issue.