Sign in to follow this  
Lasraik

Reading the footnotes?

Last night I read that some people skip the footnotes in this book and instead focus on the main story.  Are you all planning on reading everything or skipping the footnotes?

Steve IRL

Reading: 11/22/63 & Beguiled by Night

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I haven't started the book yet so I don't know how important they are, but I plan to read everything. I just asked this to someone who already read the book and she's in shock that people skip them so I get the feeling that they are very important. :P

She also said you should definitely read the introduction.

I mean……………… technically you could skip the footnotes but the whole point of the book is that it’s telling two simultaneous stories, one of which is told in the footnotes so 1) you’d be missing about half the book and 2) you’d also be missing a lot of references/mirroring between the two stories which imo is what makes it so interesting

<-- her explanation about the footnotes

On 10/19/2021 at 1:11 AM, Jolien Reads said:

I mean……………… technically you could skip the footnotes but the whole point of the book is that it’s telling two simultaneous stories, one of which is told in the footnotes so 1) you’d be missing about half the book and 2) you’d also be missing a lot of references/mirroring between the two stories which imo is what makes it so interesting

<-- her explanation about the footnotes

Makes sense, I'll read everything.  Quickly skimming through this one it looks like the size can be decieving.  Lots of pages with little to no text.  So maybe 20% of the pages aren't full pages

Steve IRL

Reading: 11/22/63 & Beguiled by Night

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

I only read the introduction and the first chapter... So far not really liking it but I think this is one I need to get into because it's so different from what I normally read. But yes, it's dense! :P Although I think it varies greatly throughout the book. There are sections that look like I will fly through it and then others that are packed from top to bottom with small text.