Our book of the month is NOS4A2, the live stream is May 23rd at 12p PST, 1p MST, 2p CST & 3 EST.  Please RSVP here if you will be attending

The Faithful and the Fallen read along starts this month!  More info here

Check the Community Calendar for all scheduled meet ups

Sign in to follow this  
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

55 minutes ago, Boag said:

Wonder Woman 1984   4/10  just to slow  (ie talking about feelings)  for a superhero action movie.

About to sit down with the family and watch it

Steve IRL

Reading: Poppy War

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Watched Wonder Woman 1984 last night and it was... different.  I like that DC movies take chances and aren't as formulaic as the Marvel movies, but when you have that kind of creative freedom sometimes you miss the mark.  This movie reminded me of the Superman movies from the 80's. 

Grade 2 out of 5

Steve IRL

► Personal Links:  YouTube (booktube)OTBSteve YouTube (MTB and cycling) ●  Strava  ●  Last.fm  ●  GoodReads ● Vero

Captive State

via IMDB:

Set in a Chicago neighborhood nearly a decade after an occupation by an extraterrestrial force, 'Captive State' explores the lives on both sides of the conflict - the collaborators and dissidents.

Interesting movie.  It's a spy movie with that kind of planning and intrigue, but it's fighting vs an alien invasion.  I liked the ground level perspective and the end caught me off guard... not what I was expecting, in a good way.

Grade: 7 out of 10

The Dark and the Wicked

via IMDB:

On a secluded farm in a nondescript rural town, a man is slowly dying. His family gathers to mourn, and soon a darkness grows, marked by waking nightmares and a growing sense that something evil is taking over the family.

I watch a lot of horror movies, and it takes a lot to really get under my skin.  It takes a little bit for the movie to get rolling, but once it does it really rolls.  There were a couple of points in the movie that really got under my skin.  Not jump scare got under my skin but pretty damn creepy and disturbing in all the right ways.  Kept me thinking about the movie long after it was over.  My only complaint is the very end could have been different, but still gets a recommendation from me if you love horror movies and don't need jump scare after jump scare.  This movie is more atmospheric and creepy than gore and scares.

Grade: 8 out of 10

Spoiler

darkandthewicked.gif

Steve IRL

Horse Girl

via IMDB

Sarah, a socially isolated woman with a fondness for arts and crafts, horses, and supernatural crime shows finds her increasingly lucid dreams trickling into her waking life.

Saw this movie on some best of horror movies of the year, turns out it's not really a horror movie.  More of a thriller/drama, but still a really fun ride.  Allison Brie does a fantastic job acting and she was also a writer for the film.  After I finished it I went back to watch portions of it again and found things I missed, trying to piece together what happened or if it even happened at all.  🤔

Grade 8 out of 10

Steve IRL

On 12/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, Boag said:

Wonder Woman 1984   4/10  just to slow  (ie talking about feelings)  for a superhero action movie.

That was an awful movie.  Bad acting, bad story, hard to tell who the star was, many unexplained things going on, to much cgi that looks like cgi.  Just a really bad movie any way you look at it.  1.5 out of 10.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, Dunnar said:

That was an awful movie.  Bad acting, bad story, hard to tell who the star was, many unexplained things going on, to much cgi that looks like cgi.  Just a really bad movie any way you look at it.  1.5 out of 10.

Couldn't agree more. Watched it with Son and Wife. We didn't make it past the 30 minute mark. Cheezy is good when done well (Ragnarok), but this was plain bad. I'm shocked it got green lit given the lack of films out there right now.

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

Cynical Optimist

On 1/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, Pasanda said:

Couldn't agree more. Watched it with Son and Wife. We didn't make it past the 30 minute mark. Cheezy is good when done well (Ragnarok), but this was plain bad. I'm shocked it got green lit given the lack of films out there right now.

It was finished almost two years ago IIRC, it kept getting moved back.  It was supposed to be released December 2019 after getting delayed before that.  Then because of the pandemic it kept getting pushed all year.

Possessor

Via IMDB

Possessor follows an agent who works for a secretive organization that uses brain-implant technology to inhabit other people's bodies - ultimately driving them to commit assassinations for high-paying clients.

I love the world this movie establishes.  It's really interesting and I want more of it.  When the movie ended, I thought it was a little abrupt but after thinking about it I understand what they were going for and it's not obvious at first. 

This universe could easily be used for a television series (would have to be HBO or Netflix) or a sequel. 

Grade: 7 out of 10

Steve IRL

Black Bear - 48%.

Critically acclaimed - so what do i know. Stars Aubrey Plaza and Chris Abbott. It's two films covering a similar set of scenes, but told from two weird and potentially unconnected perspectives. It's very difficult to explain better than that without potential spoilers. Even reading my own single sentence synopsis, it sounds more interesting than the finished result was to me. I saw no point in the 2nd perspective, aside from trying to be all artsy and clever. 

Plaza and Abbott were both excellent - if you only pay attention to her acting chops. And i really enjoyed the extremely uncomfortable tension between the 3 main chars in the first half of the film.

I'd recommend your watching it, if only to explain to me WTF is going on.

Cynical Optimist

9 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Black Bear - 48%.

Critically acclaimed - so what do i know. Stars Aubrey Plaza and Chris Abbott. It's two films covering a similar set of scenes, but told from two weird and potentially unconnected perspectives. It's very difficult to explain better than that without potential spoilers. Even reading my own single sentence synopsis, it sounds more interesting than the finished result was to me. I saw no point in the 2nd perspective, aside from trying to be all artsy and clever. 

Plaza and Abbott were both excellent - if you only pay attention to her acting chops. And i really enjoyed the extremely uncomfortable tension between the 3 main chars in the first half of the film.

I'd recommend your watching it, if only to explain to me WTF is going on.

Will check this one out

Steve IRL

Mortal Kombat

5/10 - Starts out way to slow.  Thought the ending was crappy.  The main character was a nothing and the story was not well done.  It did have some entertainment value.  Some of the dialogue was funny and some of the characters were decent.  I loved the fights and what they did with some of the abilities.  This could be a very fun series if they combined it with a good story and an interesting main character.

Nobody - A huge 78%. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/

A no-apologies old-school action thriller. Like a cross between Schwarzenegger, Michael Douglas  and Liam Neeson. Don't enter expecting high-brow intelligent film making. Go for teh funz.

I loved it. Hard to describe without spoilers though. If i can describe it using polar opposites, it would be Black Bear. I can't say Nomadland, as that didn't try to be too clever for it's own good.

Easily my favourite film this year.

Cynical Optimist